Honored Contributor

I picked up a paperback at the store the other day .... STING by Sandra Brown.   I read the description and it grabbed my interest.

So I'm just at Chapter 11 now, and I have to say .....   I really like how this mystery writer writes!     

I just looked up what else she's written ... there's several to choose from.    

So ...........   has anyone else read any of her books?  Anything you loved or hated?  

TIA!

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   

Sandra Brown is my favorite author. I think I've read most of her books. She has some strictly romance novels that are pretty good too and are quick reads.  Every year she comes out with a new novel. All of her novels are stand alone.  Here's two of my favorites Crush and White Hot.  You won't go wrong with any of them.  

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

I read some of her earlier mystery books....sprinkled in usually was a "little" romance.....but as time went by to me it got less about the mysteries and more of the book was a romantic story with a mystery added it...................i love mysteries....but didn't care for the romance storylines all the time....so stopped reading her..............she did have some good stories though..

Respected Contributor

Re: ANY SANDRA BROWN FANS?

[ Edited ]

I have read a lot of her books and enjoyed them.  Like some authors, some books are better than others.  Ricochet, Mirror Image, Chill Factor, The Alibi, Low Pressure, Friction are a few of the ones I have read.  I see she has a new one coming out this week "Seeing Red."  I haven't read any of her books for some time because i got tired of the graphic and explicit descriptions of "romantic" situations and not enough mystery.  I would have to say Chill Factor and The Alibi were my favorites.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I have read a lot of her books and enjoyed them.  Like some authors, some books are better than others.  Ricochet, Mirror Image, Chill Factor, The Alibi, Low Pressure, Friction are a few of the ones I have read.  I see she has a new one coming out this week "Seeing Red."  I haven't read any of her books for some time because i got tired of the graphic and explicit descriptions of "romantic" situations and not enough mystery.  I would have to say Chill Factor and The Alibi were my favorites.

That was my complaint too after reading her years back....

not enough mystery anymore....and more about the "love relationships"....so stopped reading her....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I'm now at Chapter 16 of STING and no one has, uh, "done the deed" yet, lol.   I'll report on this book when I'm done, in case anyone wants to give her a try again.  

Does anyone know if each of her books are stand alone books .... or has she written any series about certain characters?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I have read a lot of her earlier books, my sister and I loved them, then I got away from her books, but I may have to go back and read some of her newer ones. I like that you can get right into her books and they move along quickly!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read a lot of her earlier books since she was the local weather anchor and married to one of the news anchors in my town before they moved onto Dallas and the station there.  It has been awhile since I picked up one of her books but I liked them back in the 80's and 90's. But I like all things born in Texas.

Texas! Tyler Family Saga Series

1. 1990 Texas! Lucky
  2. 1991 Texas! Chase
  3. 1991 Texas! Sage
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

That was my complaint too after reading her years back....

not enough mystery anymore....and more about the "love relationships"....so stopped reading her....

@kelsey17

I'd be willing to bet that the sex (and sexual tension) was done at the request of her publisher.   I'm guessing that other comparable  mystery were doing so, and in the book business it's all about sales .....  obviously.

IMO, if you don't feel comfortable reading about sexual encounters, just skip over them.   We're all adults here, and we all know this happens in real life. Each author is different, but I often find it interesting to see how those encounters are written.

BTW, I'm now on chapter 28 of STING and last night I read one of the best plot twists I've seen in a long time!  I will definitely read more of her books.

Honored Contributor

She's too formulaic for me.