Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

I recommend the Southern Sisters series by Anne George.  The sisters are really amusing.  The first in the series is Murder on a Girls' Night Out.  Also, you might like the Hamish Macbeth mysteries by M. C. Beaton.  The first in that series is Death of a Gossip.  Enjoy!

I loved Anne George's books... Such a shame she passed away and there will be no more of the sisters...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: ANY HUMOROUS MYSTERIES?

[ Edited ]

These aren't mysteries, though some of them have a minor mysterious component, but the Miss Julia novels by Ann Ross can sometimes be pretty funny and quite entertaining... They involve the life, foibles and belated 'coming of age' of a fairly uptight social maven and church lady working on her second marriage living in a small North Carolina town. Some of the situations she gets herself into are pretty funny especially when she pairs up with one of her several entertaining sidekicks like her maid Lillian or her once enemy now friend Etta Mae. The series has a fun and extensive but never overwhelming supporting cast. Some installments are better than others, but I've yet to read a real stinker.

Honored Contributor

I love the Elvis Cole mysteries-lots of dry humor from this private eye. By Robert Crais.

Super Contributor

I've read all ot the Miss Juiia books as has my 88 year old mother.  By all standards, they're pretty tame, but they're also endearing and full of fun!  Start at the beginning and enjoy them in order. . .perfect Spring/Summer reading!!!  May Ann B. Ross live long!

Regular Contributor

I really enjoy the Quilting Mystery series by Mary Marks. Book #1 is called Forget Me Knot.  There are 5 books so far. Book #6, Knot My Sister's Keeper, comes out this summer. I have is pre-ordered!

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

These aren't mysteries, though some of them have a minor mysterious component, but the Miss Julia novels by Ann Ross can sometimes be pretty funny and quite entertaining... They involve the life, foibles and belated 'coming of age' of a fairly uptight social maven and church lady working on her second marriage living in a small North Carolina town. Some of the situations she gets herself into are pretty funny especially when she pairs up with one of her several entertaining sidekicks like her maid Lillian or her once enemy now friend Etta Mae. The series has a fun and extensive but never overwhelming supporting cast. Some installments are better than others, but I've yet to read a real stinker.

Just finished the newest Miss Julia Raises The Roof on this past weekend.  Been reading since the first and love them all @stevieb

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

All of the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker. Funny and good plotting, too. It's easy to find a read in sequence list by Googling his name. Parker is one of my favorite mystery writers. He passed away a few years ago and another writer has taken over the series. But there ar a LOT of the original author in the list.

There was a TV series, Spenser for Hire but it was not as good asthe books.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ANY HUMOROUS MYSTERIES?

[ Edited ]

The funniest mysteries I have read are by Jane Isenberg called the Bel Barrett series.  The first book in the series is The M Word.  Bel is a menopausal community college professor who solves mysteries.  The characters in the books include her great group of friends.  I notice some of this series is available for free if you have kindle unlimited.  

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Just finished the newest Miss Julia Raises The Roof on this past weekend.  Been reading since the first and love them all @stevieb

Sometimes I get a little impatient with Miss Julia @beckyb1012 because she tends to get a bit hysterical and make mountains out of molehills, but ya gotta lover her, as they say, and the books are great fun!

Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

I love the two series by M.C. Beaton.  Hamish MacBeth and the Agatha Raisin series.  While they aren't necessarily humorous, there are some funny parts in them.  They are very good and I suggest reading from the beginning.  There are quite a few books in each series.