Honored Contributor

Well, I'm just about done with the John Sandford mysteries series ....  rally enjoyed the main characters Flowers, Davenport .....    and now finishing up the Kidd books.

I'd like a little change .....   the last books I've read which were quite funny (in some cases) were Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books.   

Do you know of any other mystery author that is rather witty in their writing?  I doubt there will be many, but I figured if they are out there, someone here will know .....   

Anyone?

Respected Contributor

Diane Mott Davidson has a series of culinary mystery novels that have a witty, humorous edge. I've read a couple of them and enjoyed them.

Frequent Contributor

You might want to try Laura Levine's Jane Austen Mystery series.  Jane is a sitcom writer turned advertising copywriter.  The stories are witty, have an interesting cast of charactters and surprise endings.  The author in real life was a sitcom writer for the Bob Newhart show, Laverne and Shirley, Love Boat and Three's Company to name a few.Books  are available in Hardback, paperback and E-Book.  I would try to start with the first in the series  to get you going.  I believe it was "This Pen For Hire".  Happy Reading!

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

I know you are talking about books, but I LOVED  "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" on Netflix.  Just a fabulous show and a fabulous cast.  

Based on books by this author...... I cannot vouch if the books are as amusing as the series.

untitled.png

Respected Contributor

The Andy Carpenter mystery books by David Rosenfelt

Super Contributor

Re: ANY HUMOROUS MYSTERIES?

[ Edited ]

I became a Longmire fan when I discovered it on TV.  When the "season" was over, I discovered the novels written by Craig Johnson.  While the TV series was absolutely terrific, there wasn't much humor; pretty serious stuff.  On the other hand, the books are almost funny at times.  The character's are memorable and make for really good reading.   I suggest you start at the beginning, "The Cold Dish" and ready your way through the series.  Netflix offers the TV version and it remains my favorite!

Super Contributor

I really enjoyed watching Miss Fisher on Netflix. . . Sure wish they would have made more episodes.  The costumes/settings were just fabulous!!!

Honored Contributor

Them Bones: A Mystery from the Mississippi Delta (Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery Book 1)book 1

Charmed Bones: A Sarah Booth Delaney Mysterybook 18.  They are great

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

I love the alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton.  There is always some humor in her books.  Sadly, she passed away a few months ago so there will never by a Z book.  I have read them all from A to Y.  Her main character, Kinsey Milhone, is a lot of fun. 

Honored Contributor

In D M Davidson's books she tends to use the same phrases over and over: sliding in to the oven,etc.