Respected Contributor

Susan Hill has written many topnotch mysteries. Her Woman in Black is amazing (the movie is not). I've lately been reading her Chief Superintendent Simon Serrailler Mysteries: these books go way beyond your typical whodunits!

The books should be read in order:

1) The Various Haunts of Men

2) The Pure in Heart

3) The Risk of Darkness

4) The Vows of Silence

5) The Shadows in the Streets

6) The Betrayal of Trust

7) A Question of Identity

8) The Soul of Discretion

Has anyone read these books? I'd love to hear reactions.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for recommendation. Haven’t read them but will check it out.

I’ve been reading Harry Bosch series by Michael Connolly, Tim Thorne series by Mark Billingham, Louise Penny, Inspector Rebus series, Denise Mina.

Just finished a brand new author, I let You Go by Claire

Mackintosh- very very good with a real twist at the end.

Super Contributor

A couple of my favorite mystery series include Craig Johnson's Longmire novels (starting with The Cold Dish) and William Kent Krueger's  Cork O'Connor series (Iron Lake's the first installment).  Recently I read a new book by C.J. Box and now feel like I need to go back and start his Joe Rickett series beginning with Open Season. . . 

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Susan Hill has written many topnotch mysteries. Her Woman in Black is amazing (the movie is not). I've lately been reading her Chief Superintendent Simon Serrailler Mysteries: these books go way beyond your typical whodunits!

2) The Pure in Heart

3) The Risk of Darkness

4) The Vows of Silence

6) The Betrayal of Trust

Per your recommendation, @insomniac2, I read "THE WOMAN IN BLACK" and it was very good!  An old-fashioned spooky story that is a fast read (only 164 pages!).

I enjoyed it and will check out her other books too.  Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

2) The Pure in Heart

3) The Risk of Darkness

4) The Vows of Silence

6) The Betrayal of Trust

@insomniac2 - just wanted you to know that I am reading these books and they are FANTASTIC!  I am already on #6; can't stop reading them!

Respected Contributor

Dawg Lover, thank you. They're so exceptional!

Esteemed Contributor

Louise Penny is marvelous. Most of her mysteries take place in a somewhat mystical small town in Québec, not far from Montréal. Her writing has won numerous awards. It’s much better to read her books in order since there are many characters who appear throughout her mysteries. 

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 Thank you for introducing me to this author!  I went to the library and got a book containing two short novels The Small Hand and also Dolly. What a wonderful writer Susan Hill is. She puts the reader right in the story with her descriptions of scenes. I've seen the movie The Woman in Black awhile ago. Now I'll read the book. Thank you again.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

After readng the recommendation for the books by Susan Hill, I also started the Simon Serrrailler series.  I too thank you for the recommendation.  I purchased a few of the books; I like to have them available when I really get into a series.