Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - 5 out of 5 stars!

It's a wonderful book.  His book, "My Grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry" is also a great read.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal Have some tissue handy, I cry with every one of his books!

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed "A Man Called Ove", as well as "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry". I definitely plan on reading more of Backman's books. Sounds like many of you are also enjoying this author

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori@sunala I loved the character Britt-Marie as I can see a bit of me in her, I have never been a social butterfly, I am obsessive about routine and order and everything being just so, but as you get to know Britt-Marie you find out why she is the way she is and it makes sense how "Life" can cause a person to live the way that they do!

I read the two books with Britt-Marie as a character out of order, I read the 2nd one first, when I started to read the first one I said to myself that I was glad I had been introduced to her in the 2nd book as I would have probably not liked her character until about 1/2 through the 1st book, but by then her true self started to shine through.

When I closed the book and read the final words with Britt-Marie as the main character, I knew that I would miss her deeply!

@CareBears - hi! Can you tell me the titles of the two books with Britt-Marie as a character, and which book I should try to read first? As I wrote, I tried to read Britt-Marie Was Here twice, but after she moved to that crazy village with the crazy people, I had to PTB. 

You've gotten me curious now! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sunala, just made a long post about "And the Way Home" on What Are You Reading.  Sorry, I don't remember seeing yours.  I also posted a link to a NY Times interview with him and mentioned there are four more books he's done in Sweden that we will be getting.

I loved "Britt-Marie."  Maybe this wasn't your problem but at first I had trouble, it was tough going, because except for Britt-Marie the characters seemed like degenerates living in a seedy town (and I don't like soccer).  And that's deliberate. 

As Ove's heart melts so does Britt-Marie's, and her affect on the people of the town is extraordinary (and funny).  This is what I love about it.  JMO.

@LoriLori - that was EXACTLY my problem. Those crazy people with rats and soccer and a language I found hard to decipher. I couldn't take it anymore, although I did try for as long as I could. 

Do you promise I'll love it? If so, I will try it one more time! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala The first book that Britt-Marie is introduced in is "My Grandmother told me to tell you she is sorry" (sorry if flubbed the title, very tired today, LOL), you are not going to like Britt-Marie to begin with but watch her relationship with the little girl develop over time and I can guarantee you in the end you will start to understand her.

The second book "Britt-Marie was here", my advice is to trudge on, and to always keep in mind that everyone has their own burdens they carry with them, and what it looks like it not all that it seems, read about the towns people and listen to their stories and how they come together, by the end it will all start to make sense!

I so connected with Britt-Marie as I mentioned I see myself in her, and I think that is why I watched her blossom into a character that became unforgettable!  She became a woman I grew to admire and I think she even surprised herself with the relationships she formed, give her a chance and I do not think you will be disappointed!

Honored Contributor

@sunala, I think it's the most difficult of Fredrik Backman's books.  I think it helps to read "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" first so you see how Britt-Marie got to that place, literally and figuratively. 

I think @CareBears has written lovely, poignant words for you.

The first third or so of the book was hard for me to get into.  I am glad I pushed on, but it felt like work.  I had to push a little with "Grandmother" and a lot with "Britt-Marie."   The first third of "Britt-Marie" wasn't great for me.  And then he middle got better and better.  And the last third was terrific. 

So I can't promise you'll love it, but I hope you give it another chance and I very much hope you'll fall under its spell and love it. 

Next book, Beartown, has not soccer but ice hockey.  Another sport I don't follow, could care less about.  Another book I already know I'm going to love.