Respected Contributor

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - 5 out of 5 stars!

Wonderful book - I'm sitting here in tears!  Love how it is written - will definitely be reading more of Mr. Backman's books. 

Honored Contributor

Re: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - 5 out of 5 stars!

When I finished that wonderful book, I was crying so hard I felt like I couldn't breathe. I never recommended a book to so many people, and every one of them loved it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Fredrik Backman has become one if not my favorite author, I have now read all of his books and each one of them makes me cry to the point I literally have to stop after finishing the books and reflect over what I had just read, love love love his books.

A few pages back I wrote a review on his Novella!

Trusted Contributor

I loved it too. It's the only book I've read from him so far but have "Britt-Marie Was Here" to read next.

Another tear-jerker I just finished was "Two By Two" by Nicholas Sparks. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tribesters Both of the books you mentioned very good books, I think you will enjoy "Britt-Marie Was Here"!

I did the UGLY CRY reading "Two By Two".

Honored Contributor

I loved A Man Called Ove also - both the book and the movie.  I have read two subsequent books of his and did not care for them..  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I loved A Man Called Ove also - both the book and the movie.  I have read two subsequent books of his and did not care for them..  

@DiAnne I loved A Man Called Ove too, and adored it as most people have. I also read his novella, And Every Morning the Way Home gets Longer and Longer, which also made me cry. 

I just couldn't get into Britt-Marie Was Here. I tried reading it twice. I didn't remove it from my TBR list because I'm going to give it one more shot, since just about everyone loved it. 

He has a new book coming out later this year called Beartown. I'll be sure to get it as soon as it hits the shelves. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala, just made a long post about "And the Way Home" on What Are You Reading.  Sorry, I don't remember seeing yours.  I also posted a link to a NY Times interview with him and mentioned there are four more books he's done in Sweden that we will be getting.

I loved "Britt-Marie."  Maybe this wasn't your problem but at first I had trouble, it was tough going, because except for Britt-Marie the characters seemed like degenerates living in a seedy town (and I don't like soccer).  And that's deliberate. 

As Ove's heart melts so does Britt-Marie's, and her affect on the people of the town is extraordinary (and funny).  This is what I love about it.  JMO.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori@sunala I loved the character Britt-Marie as I can see a bit of me in her, I have never been a social butterfly, I am obsessive about routine and order and everything being just so, but as you get to know Britt-Marie you find out why she is the way she is and it makes sense how "Life" can cause a person to live the way that they do!

I read the two books with Britt-Marie as a character out of order, I read the 2nd one first, when I started to read the first one I said to myself that I was glad I had been introduced to her in the 2nd book as I would have probably not liked her character until about 1/2 through the 1st book, but by then her true self started to shine through.

When I closed the book and read the final words with Britt-Marie as the main character, I knew that I would miss her deeply!

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori@sunala I loved the character Britt-Marie as I can see a bit of me in her, I have never been a social butterfly, I am obsessive about routine and order and everything being just so, but as you get to know Britt-Marie you find out why she is the way she is and it makes sense how "Life" can cause a person to live the way that they do!

I read the two books with Britt-Marie as a character out of order, I read the 2nd one first, when I started to read the first one I said to myself that I was glad I had been introduced to her in the 2nd book as I would have probably not liked her character until about 1/2 through the 1st book, but by then her true self started to shine through.

When I closed the book and read the final words with Britt-Marie as the main character, I knew that I would miss her deeply!

@CareBears - I felt that way about Ove - the characters sound very similar - he too likes order in his life.  I will definitely be reading more of his books.