Regular Contributor

In 1999, my daughter gifted me a book journal.  Since that time, I have a record of every book I've ever read by year.  I also rate the books from 1 to 3 although several rated a 10.

It's interesting to me to look back and see how my book choices have changed.

In 2019, I read over 100 books.  Of that total, I loved maybe 10 of them.

As interesting as it is to me to look back now that I'm in my 70's, I also think it's a nice remembrance that my daughter will have after I am no longer of this earth.

Respected Contributor

That's a good idea.  I do something similar using Goodreads.com.  I use that web page a lot.  Before I get a book I look at the synopsis and the reviews.  It also keeps track of what I read and my rating.

Another thing I like about it is if you like an author you can click on their name and see what else they have written.

Esteemed Contributor

So very sweet ❤️

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

That's a great gift.  At one point I started writing down the books I've read, but that fell by the wayside.  I've found that when somebody asks if I've read such and such a book, I sometimes forget if I read it or not if it was a while back.  Oh, age!  Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to start writing them down again.  I'm going to look for a book journal for myself and for gifts, great idea.

Esteemed Contributor

That's a nice thing to have.  I'm with @Biftu , as sometimes I cannot remember which books I've read already!!   I do the same with movies, sometimes rewatching and not realizing I've seen it in the past until mid way!!   Oh well, I digress.......It's really a great idea what you've done!  

Respected Contributor

I have a 5-page listing alphabetical by author and, within each author segment, an alphabetical listing of the books read.  It was created in Word.  The only ranking I use is "X" for ones I wouldn't recommend.  I have given a few copies to folks who asked.

It started years ago when I bought a paperback at an exchange and discovered after a few pages that I had already read it.  

With Cloud Library, I can check most reviews.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I have a document in Word to keep a list of all the books I've read, and another to keep track of the movies I see.  

Honored Contributor

I use an app called RecordBooks. You record the author,name,if you liked it,the date read. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

That's a nice thing to have.  I'm with @Biftu , as sometimes I cannot remember which books I've read already!!   I do the same with movies, sometimes rewatching and not realizing I've seen it in the past until mid way!!   Oh well, I digress.......It's really a great idea what you've done!  

@LindaSal  You made me laugh!  I do that with movies too and if you ask me the ending a few weeks later, I'd be hard pressed to tell you!  I have friends who can quote lines from movies and here I am not knowing if I ever saw it.  I don't get it since I generally have a pretty good memory.

Trusted Contributor

I have a record of all the books I've read since high school (50 years).  It is one of my most cherished possessions although I know it won't mean anything to anyone else.  I have it in a loose leaf notebook (8.5 X 5.5 inch paper) with a list for each year and a list by author for my favorite authors.