Respected Contributor

3/10/17: I'm having 2nd thoughts about my Voyage

[ Edited ]

I know that some of you won't believe it, but I am actually thinking of returning the Voyage.  I used it a lot yesterday and I must say, I miss my Kindle Keyboard.

What I don't like specifically about the Voyage is the fact that I hit the screen and the page changes, when I don't want it to, so I am frequently going forward or back to get to my last page read.  The page press on the Keyboard was much easier and more "friendly."

Also, it was easier to hold the Keyboard at the bottom of the Kindle where the keyboard is.  On the Voyage I have to be careful where I place my hand to hold it because if my finger touches the screen, the page changes forward or backward.

For me, the Kindle Keyboard is more user friendly, at least for me.  I absolutely LOVED reading on it.  I don't yet LOVE reading on the Voyage.

I don't know yet if I will return or keep the Voyage.   I imagine some of you are surprised when reading this post.  Those of you who have the Voyage, please give me some encouraging words.

Trusted Contributor

Re: 3/10/17: I'm having 2nd thoughts about my Voyage

It takes a little getting used to. You're so used to the other one- give I a few days.  I think the iRing makes all the difference on mine. I slip my finger in it & it just balances itself in my hand. To turn pages I just tap the screen with my thumb. I read a lot at night so I love the fact that I don't need a light or book light. 

My kindle keyboard is so old all the letters are worn off the keys. When I search for a book it's hard to type. I got a silver sharpie & tried writing the letters back on the keys- it helped but looks awful. 

Honored Contributor

Like you I loved my keyboard, to the extent that I put a new battery in it. However, I eventually got a Paperwhite and it took me awhile to get used to the touchscreen. Now I love it, so hang in there.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

do you have a case

do a search for origami case for kindle  

I have one for mine it stands it up 

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

It takes a little getting used to. You're so used to the other one- give I a few days.  I think the iRing makes all the difference on mine. I slip my finger in it & it just balances itself in my hand. To turn pages I just tap the screen with my thumb. I read a lot at night so I love the fact that I don't need a light or book light. 

My kindle keyboard is so old all the letters are worn off the keys. When I search for a book it's hard to type. I got a silver sharpie & tried writing the letters back on the keys- it helped but looks awful. 

I agree with all of this. I don't use an iRing, but have no trouble holding mine with the case on.

It will take some time to get used to not touching the screen and accidentally advancing a page. I experienced the same thing. But once I got the hang of it, I never looked back. 

I would never, ever go back to my Kindle Keyboard. It was slower, didn't have a built-in light, and, as @Tribesters says, all my letters were rubbed off the keyboard. There was a light inside the case that was powered off the Kindle Keyboard battery, but the case was loose and I had to keep reseating the Kindle inside it to get it to stay. It made for a very clunky and frustrating experience. I have none of those issues with the Voyage or the Paperwhite.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an origami case, too, like @jackthebear and it makes it not only easier to hold, but it turns the kindle off when I close it and turns it on when I open it.  I don't think I would care for a ring on the back.

Even though my case lets the kindle stand by itself, I will often just keep my thumb on the side of the kindle by the page press buttons and press as I need to. I agree with you about the inconsistency of the touch screen.  Sometimes I must tap it too hard and it goes two pages forward and I have to go back.  And sometimes I tap it and it doesn't move.

I have to say I don't love my Voyage, but I wouldn't go back to a nonlit kindle.    

Trusted Contributor

@Big Sister

Instead of touching the screen to turn the pages use the pressure based sensors on the side. You can turn the "haptic response" up & down in settings. Keep your thumb on the sensor & just press when you're ready to turn the page. It'll buzz a little under your thumb when you've pressed enough to turn the page. As long as you keep your thumb off the screen you probably won't be turning pages accidentally. 

I'm sure it took you a while to get used to your first Kindle. I remember trying to turn the pages at the top corner just like a real book. Give this one more time- it's not what you're used to. Don't give up yet...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, you're looking for some encouragement, so here are some reasons I do like the Voyage:

-The page press buttons, as I said previously.

-The on/off button being at the top of the back instead of at the bottom.

-The option to set the unit to how many minutes are left in the current chapter, to how many hours/minutes are left in the book, to what page/location you are on.

-The interface with Goodreads to put this book in your "currently reading" category.

-The option to change the backlit intensity. 

-I'm sure there are more benefits, but that's all I can think of for now. 

- I'm not thrilled with the font choices and/or sizes, though.  It seems like the font size is either too big or way too small for me.

As I said, I don't love it, but it has enough great features that I wouldn't go back.  I don't know how many of these features are on the paperwhite.  I think you'd like it better if you had a case for it, but it will add a little to the weight. 

Honored Contributor

Definitely don't give up yet.  Keep it at least a couple of weeks.  I replaced my Kindle Keyboard with the Paperwhite and love it.  Like you, in the beginning I was accidentally turning pages and having to go back.  Once I got used to it I love it.  I really like the backlit keyboard.  I ordered the leather case from Amazon to go with my Kindle Keyboard.  That might make it easier to hold without turning the pages.  I'm not sure though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting.  I won't give up on my Voyage just yet.  However, I do have a question about a "case" for it.  I always read while lying down, so don't need a case/cover that stands up.  Should I still consider the Origami cover?  OR

Do you  have any suggestions as to what case/cover I should look at?

The Voyage also has a drop down "tool" bar at the top, but I am having a hard time in finding the right place to tap, so it is hit or miss for me.  Very frustrating.

If I bookmark a page (like I did often on my Kindle Keyboard) which I have been doing on the Voyage, how do I find the bookmarks to go back to a certain page?

I know I will have to "play" with the Voyage and hopefully get used to it.

Thank you for helping me.