Honored Contributor

Just finished Hoovers FBI. If you enjoy history this is for you.

And The Other side of the Coin,The Queen,The Dresser, and the Wardrobe.

Respected Contributor

Re: 2 great books

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Just finished Hoovers FBI. If you enjoy history this is for you.

And The Other side of the Coin,The Queen,The Dresser, and the Wardrobe.

I refuse to read HOOVERS FBI since I worked there for 35 years before retiring 4 years ago and I've heard stories and know people who worked there during that time and it was not a fun or easy time I heard.  I didn't even read books about the FBI when I worked there.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

There are many books that I also refuse to read. Thank you for your honesty.

Contributor

I unfortunately worked for the FBI during Hoover's reign.   Women were at best treated like second class citizens.  The day after he died, we were finally allowed to change from dresses and panty hose, to pant suits.  We were unable to be agents or Latent Fingerprint examiners.  All of this changed after he died.  I worked on the 4th floor of an old World War II warehouse that was in the middle of downtown Washington, DC and happened to be without air conditioning.  Four years after his death, the J.Edgar Hoover building was built on Pennsylvania Ave.  

Respected Contributor

Re: 2 great books

[ Edited ]

@Skinsgirl wrote:

I unfortunately worked for the FBI during Hoover's reign.   Women were at best treated like second class citizens.  The day after he died, we were finally allowed to change from dresses and panty hose, to pant suits.  We were unable to be agents or Latent Fingerprint examiners.  All of this changed after he died.  I worked on the 4th floor of an old World War II warehouse that was in the middle of downtown Washington, DC and happened to be without air conditioning.  Four years after his death, the J.Edgar Hoover building was built on Pennsylvania Ave.  

@Skinsgirl Small world that you worked there too but probably before me since you worked before HQ was built.  A lot of my friends told me the stories about wearing dresses and then after he died could wear pants.  I know people who used to work at the Old Post Office.  I worked in HQ from 1980-2015. 

Contributor

My EOD date with the FBI was May 8, 1970.  My first three days were at the Old Post Office building and my fourth day was at the old WW II building at 2nd and D streets.  I lasted 7 long years.

Respected Contributor

@Skinsgirl wrote:

My EOD date with the FBI was May 8, 1970.  My first three days were at the Old Post Office building and my fourth day was at the old WW II building at 2nd and D streets.  I lasted 7 long years.

I have a friend who lives in VA and her EOD was in 1969 but not sure where she was located at that time before she moved to HQ.  7 years is a long time.  What made you leave? 

Honored Contributor

My post was about BOOKS,not about the FBI. 

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 I love books about history.  Is the one about Queen Elizabeth a book good enough to buy and keep or should I get it from the library?

J. Edgar has always fascinated me, so I plan on reading that book, too, especially since I now reside in DC.

Do you have a favorite period of history or an historical person?  I enjoy anything related to Lincoln and the Civil War and am always interested in the history of the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

I would request the Queen book from the library. Great photos,not any thing about family.

I like most all books about history. World War 2 probably my fav. I was fortunate enough

to get a lot of memories from my Mom. She remembered Pearl Harbor,things like that.

OT one of my fav films is Sabotour (sp).