Contributor

My MIL gave me a ceramic rooster in a brown paper bag, dust and all. She said she had got it from a yard sale...yea!

Contributor

Last year my Uncle gave me a very used book about famous dead people. He read it. It was dirty and the binding was broken. He kept calling me asking how I liked it. I told him I loved the book. He thought it was a great gift. I hate reading sad things, so I could only read a little bit. I'm still laughing

Back in the 1980's my aunt gave me nested mixing bowls. The largest bowl had dried food stuck to it.

New Contributor

My worst gift wasn't for Christmas, it was for my 50 th b day. My boyfriend got me nothing, and could well afford a present.lol

Super Contributor
On 12/21/2014 luvRiley said:

My worst gift wasn't for Christmas, it was for my 50 th b day. My boyfriend got me nothing, and could well afford a present.lol

Is he still your boyfriend???

Super Contributor
On 12/21/2014 conniekl said:

Last year my Uncle gave me a very used book about famous dead people. He read it. It was dirty and the binding was broken. He kept calling me asking how I liked it. I told him I loved the book. He thought it was a great gift. I hate reading sad things, so I could only read a little bit. I'm still laughing

Back in the 1980's my aunt gave me nested mixing bowls. The largest bowl had dried food stuck to it.

Sounds like the old aunt in National Lampoon's Christmas that wrapped up her cat as a gift. Also a jello mold that started leaking out of the box. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Regular Contributor

For some unknown reason, I got a book on how to fold dollar bills into different origami shapes. Plus a canvas tote bag that reeked of cigarette smoke and had sequins falling off of it! That was the year I announced no more gift exchanges with my brother and SIL....we'd buy only for the kids! A very good decision! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Respected Contributor

I worked for a doctor and some patients would bring in gifts for us which was very sweet.

However, the comb and barrette with hair in it went into the trash.

Honored Contributor
On 12/20/2014 child prodigy said:
On 12/20/2014 Nightowlz said:
On 12/20/2014 child prodigy said:
On 12/20/2014 Nightowlz said: Glad to read that I'm not the only one that gets cr~ap from my MIL. Worst gift from my MIL was an ugly homemade scarf a 100 yr old would not wear. She knows I cannot stand to wear anything around my neck. In the trash it went when we got home. It was so ugly I did not even want to donate it. She will receive her last gift from us this Xmas. I told DH I was done.
Ever hear it's better to give than receive? The nerve of her to knit you that ugly scarf! Sheesh. Maybe she won't be around much longer to insult you with what you call krap.
I did not say she knitted me a scarf now did I? It looked like a bunch of dolie's sewn onto plastic round things that hold a 6 pack of soda that held it together. I know it's the thought that counts but after receiving this garbage for 38 yrs enough is enough. She does not give her daughters these things so why does she give them to me? I don't give her those types of gifts.
I think you know what I meant. She made you a gift. She went to the effort. You're saying she's been doing this for 38years so it seems like you could pretty much expect it.
I do expect it. She wanted to drop off the gifts & pick hers up Fri. When we were packing to leave for Fl. DH told them to stop by whenever. I told him to call her back & tell her we would exchange gifts when we got back as we were going to be busy packing for the trip. I told DH it's not like we need the krap before we leave. I don't care if we ever receive it. She just wanted her gift. LOL!!! I never bought her anything. DH can do what he wants. I will be glad when DH can retire & we can move so I don't have to deal with them. She told me we could not move because we had to stay here & take care of them. I don't think so.
Honored Contributor
On 12/22/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:
On 12/21/2014 conniekl said:

Sounds like the old aunt in National Lampoon's Christmas that wrapped up her cat as a gift. Also a jello mold that started leaking out of the box. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

LOL!!!
Honored Contributor
On 12/21/2014 grammarqueen said:
On 12/21/2014 2swans said: One year my MIL gave me a burial plot in the city cemetery. And to top that, she didn't even pay for the plot, she had inherited it!

How soon do you think she, uh, wants you to occupy it? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Now that's horrible. Did you sell it for the cash? Plots are expensive. We paid over $3000 for 2 plots where we want to be buried.