Respected Contributor

I guess I was 12 or 13 and I received makeup and nylons. Boring. Then I went back to kitchen and serving relatives.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
A training bra that I opened in front of everyone. Thanks Mom! LOL From a different relative, a hideous red glass with glitter candle holders but they looked like giant wine glasses. And there was 3 of them. Not xmas, but a wedding gift, a ugly plasticy/resin giant bride and groom statue. It was horrible.
Trusted Contributor
On 12/21/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 12/21/2014 jojobeans said:
On 12/20/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 12/20/2014 Kay SD said:

Well....I haven't loved every single thing I've ever gotten. Not a lot of use for all those well-meant holiday potholders and teatowels and things, and sometimes I just donate them. But I can't think of any time I received a gift that I couldn't appreciate for what it was. I guess my least fave, because the least fun, is getting gift cards.

I can't really think of anything either.

I guess some would think that the worst gift I ever got was an old, chipped Christmas ornament, nestled in worn-looking cotton and in a small box that had clearly seen better days. Add to that the fact that I'm Jewish! But this gift came from a young student of mine, along with a beautiful, crayon drawing of him kissing me under the mistletoe and THANK YOU FOR BEING MY TEACHER written in large letters.

I get teary just thinking about it. It touched my heart all those years ago, and even more so today.

Kiss

This brought tears to my eyes too, NYC Susan. How beautiful.

Thank you! How sweet of you to comment!

I've often wondered if his Mom knew about this gift. Or if he had pulled it off his own family's tree! Oh, I loved my students! Endlessly entertaining, and the sweet times made the tough moments so, so worth it.

Kiss

This is so sweet, I am speechless.

Contributor

Back in the 60's when I was in grade school, I wanted to give something to my teacher like most of the kids were in my class. My parents both worked but made little money (there were Christmas times when there was no money for a tree and my dad walked to work because he couldn't afford to get the car fixed) and I had to beg my dad for 50 cents to buy my teacher a gift.

I found a candle shaped like a Christmas caroler (looked like how kids would dress for a Christmas choir) that cost 39 cents. I bought it and wrapped it in some pretty paper and made a hand made To & From card and attached it to the gift.

I realized that it did not compare with what some of the kids told me they were giving the teacher but I thought she would like it anyway.

Well, after the holidays were over and we went back to school, the teacher handed out thank you cards to those who gave her gifts. I did not receive one, so I thought she did not like my gift and as a child I felt embarrassed and hurt. I wonder if she ever knew how her actions would affect a child. I always thank people for any gifts to this day because of that.

Contributor

We had an ornament exchange at work last week. I purchased a beautiful ornament (one that I would have loved to receive) as my gift. The exchange was done by placing all of the ornaments in paper lunch bags, then playing a game where a story was read and every time the words "left" or "right" came up, you passed the bag in front of you either to the left or right. At the end of the story, I opened the bag I ended up with and inside were two small ornaments. One was dated 1994 and the other was dated 2000.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor
On 12/22/2014 Leilasgranny said:

Back in the 60's when I was in grade school, I wanted to give something to my teacher like most of the kids were in my class. My parents both worked but made little money (there were Christmas times when there was no money for a tree and my dad walked to work because he couldn't afford to get the car fixed) and I had to beg my dad for 50 cents to buy my teacher a gift.

I found a candle shaped like a Christmas caroler (looked like how kids would dress for a Christmas choir) that cost 39 cents. I bought it and wrapped it in some pretty paper and made a hand made To & From card and attached it to the gift.

I realized that it did not compare with what some of the kids told me they were giving the teacher but I thought she would like it anyway.

Well, after the holidays were over and we went back to school, the teacher handed out thank you cards to those who gave her gifts. I did not receive one, so I thought she did not like my gift and as a child I felt embarrassed and hurt. I wonder if she ever knew how her actions would affect a child. I always thank people for any gifts to this day because of that.

As a teacher this remembrance of yours just broke my heart! What a sweet child you were; she wasn't worthy of your kindness-the gift of the Magi.

Occasional Contributor
A former boyfriend gave me a used shower head. Yuck! I had complained that the shower in the house I rented didn't produce a nice shower. He gave me his old used shower head as a stocking stuffer. And he had very harsh well water so you can imagine the lime buildup, etc. on the shower head. It was gross. BTW he is a dentist so it isn't like he was poor. Do I win? Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

My late husband-- he bought me new cookware & a vacuum cleaner one Christmas. We gave each other a list of things that we wanted. For him, I worked from his list & purchased items that I knew he wanted because they were on his list. For me, he purchased items that he felt that I needed at the time.

Frequent Contributor

bless your hearts ! I have read all of your posts. while some are funny some are pretty darn sad. I've never experienced receiving a cheap or inappropriate gift. and I'm sorry for those who were disappointed in their Christmas exchanges. maybe this year will bring you what you want and need.

Frequent Contributor

Christmas Eve 1985. My sisters and I opened a gift from our step-mother that contained a box of Kotex (I was 21 years old) and a breast cancer pamphlet.