Honored Contributor

Re: who has purged their makeup drawer lately?

The best thing I ever did for my makeup collection was to buy this 3 tier rolling cart and the clear acrylic rectangle bins to separate the categories.  It comes with cups that hang on the side.  As you can see I used mine for brushes, and tube shaped products...I since have separated the small and large brushes into different cups. The bin of lipglosses remains in my vanity drawer since I use those all thru the day.  I just counted them...80 but I pulled three out for mom and some of them are duplicates.  I must have bought more since this photo.  I've pretty much maxed out space in the bin and it is better organized now.  Also, when all my makeup is organized and quickly accessed, I find that the sheer volume of products doesn't seem so crazy.  Something to think about if you're scrambling every morning to find what you need.

20220603_172318.jpg

3 tier.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I try to stay on top of what's in my makeup case, but I do have a lot and sometimes a few things don't get used as frequently as the favorites.  My memory system is to mark the purchase month and year on the case or bottle using nail polish or a Sharpie marker.  There are some things such as Lancome mascara, L'Oreal's Paradise Eyelash Primer, EL DoubleWear foundation, Bobbi Brown's Camel eyeshadow, and IT Cosmetics Je Nais Se Quois lipgloss that are definitely going to be used up so the only info I gather from marking them is how fast they are used.

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

@San Antonio Gal, thanks so much for the information on the charity. I went straight to my train case and vanity drawer and found a lot to donate. that makes me feel less guilty about all the money I spent!

we recently moved to be close to our daughter and grandbaby. we keep him 3 or more days a week, so most of my days are now spent in tee shirts and yoga pants, covered in baby slobber and half chewed teething biscuits. a ponytail, a tinted moisturizer and lip balm are the most I can usually manage, which is what prompted my thoughts about purging.

on the days that we don't have the grandbaby, we usually run an errand or two and sometimes go out to lunch. on those days, I do wear actual clothes and put on makeup, but I keep it much more simple now. Smiley Happy

thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and suggestions.

@MariotaMurielle - just want to chime in that I have been donating to Project Beauty Share over the last year or so.  Thought you might like another confirmation that it's a good place to donate too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trix - I am so glad to know someone else marks their purchases with dates!  Thought I was the only one so never mentioned it.  The other thing I am doing with my eyeshadow palettes is on the backside of each palette, I have a small piece of blue painters tape and each time I use a palette I mark the tape with a Sharpie.  Will look at all my palettes in 6 months, see which ones were used the most, and will donate the rest.  Decided to do that after this last purge as its so hard for me to remember how many times I've used a palette and thought this way, I will really know which ones are my favorites and which ones can be donated.  

Respected Contributor

Add me to the list of those who mark dates on their makeup. I write the date that I open the item and start using it on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the item.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  what worked for me for removing makeup from plastic trays was using some liquid eye makeup remover on a cotton ball or Q tip. 

In a future life, might buy those plastic drawer liners for makeup storage. 

With the Lancôme eye shadow palettes I used a black Rubbermaid narrow rectangle tray. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle   No, but thanks for reminding me.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Not me, when I know full well that I should.  I have some stuff I haven't even used yet.  That tells me I was buying to much of this stuff.  After I stopped buying expensive Estee Lauder, I stopped buying a lot of other makeup stuff except for brow stuff because mine are sparse. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I always do some clutter control seasonally. Mascara I never keep for more than 3-4 months because I worry about bacteria. As far as collecting pallettes of eye shadow, I worry about keeping them for longer than a year, and have always replaced them. Lipsticks, I generally use up in six months so no worries.

I tend to have adapted a minimalist approach to fashion and makeup, so nothing really accumulates. Not only does it save me a lot of money but it is easy to keep track of purchases and when they need to be thrown out.

New Contributor

That is what I did today.