Honored Contributor

Re: who has purged their makeup drawer lately?

@MariotaMurielle  -  Instead of throwing your makeup away, you can donate the gently used to women in need.  You can mail it to Project Beauty Share.

Here's their info:

Project Beauty Share is currently accepting donations.

Thank you for choosing to donate your new and barely used products to Project Beauty Share.  We are still accepting donations during COVID-19. Because of generous supporters like yourself, we help restore hope and dignity to the lives of thousands of women and their families.

You can drop off or mail your donations directly to our warehouse: Our address is 2718 E Sprague Ave, Spokane WA 99202. Warehouse hours are M-Th 9am-2pm.

We do not pay for shipping costs. We suggest using the USPS Flat Rate Box. 

• Makeup Brushes – Must be new or clean
  • Lip Products/Lip Liners *
  • Mascara *
  • Eyeliners *
  • Pressed Eyeshadows **
  • Pressed Blush/Bronzer/Highlighters **
  • Foundations *
  • Concealers *
  • Squeeze Tube Or Airless Pump Foundations **
  • Face Primer **
  • Strip Lashes *
* Must be new
** Can be BARELY used
Respected Contributor

I upkeep my makeup stash and continually discard older and sloppy looking products.

I get rid of items that I don't use, just don't like, or never flattered me 

I have makeup waiting to be opened and so I continually purge. I try to finish what is in my stash before purchasing more. 

Sometimes I'm successful; sometimes I'm not and break out and purchase when I know I shouldn't. It's an ongoing battle. 

@MariotaMurielle  I see a few participants here from our "What have you used up thread" that is up every Friday. 

We encourage each other and learn about products that others recommend and products that are not recommended.

Check it out...fun thread. 

Honored Contributor

I just tossed a bunch of loose powder blushes, eye shadows, , lipliners and asst other pencils as well as many mascaras, some not even opened, and a few other things last week----and now--I am going thru the many, many, asst brushes to toss too. I am the same way--I don't wear any make up unless I go out, which is not often.  Just gird your loins and do it!!!Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  I used Project Beauty Share several years ago .Got rid of a lot of single shadows. They can also e mail you a donation slip. 

After I moved, I now have the majority of my makeup in an under the bed plastic box. I used rubber bands around various eye liners, pencils & eyeshadow sticks. Most are in their boxes. I did toss several mascaras as they had dried out. 

Powders last a long time & I date all of my makeup when I first use it. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I just tossed a bunch of loose powder blushes, eye shadows, , lipliners and asst other pencils as well as many mascaras, some not even opened, and a few other things last week----and now--I am going thru the many, many, asst brushes to toss too. I am the same way--I don't wear any make up unless I go out, which is not often.  Just gird your loins and do it!!!Woman Tongue

I really do not have many extra brushes. But, as an amateur artist, it would be hard for me to toss brushes!  Gave a couple to DH, too, so he can brush away whatever he brushes away in the garage.

But same with some of the old BE eye shadows with shimmer. I'm keeping those to use as watercolors. Haven't done that yet, because I am doing other things. But I think the shimmer would make a neat effect in art!

Also, some of the best eye makeup brushes I have come from the art counter at Michael's.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa ---yes, most the eye shadows were BE glimmery/shimmery shadows---good idea about using them in paint--but I am not an artist---unfortunately---most the brushes are very nice quality--will pick and choose before I dump and tossWoman Wink

Honored Contributor

I also purged when we moved a year ago, and the only thing I buy regularly is foundation, mascara and an occasional lippie. 

Respected Contributor

I have 2 make up trays with compartments.  I recently got the urge to clean them out.  Gosh, I can't believe how sloppy everything gets, and make up all over, I'm ashamed to say.  I sprayed the trays with a bleach cleaner and let sit for a few minutes.   Have no idea how eye pencils with caps on wind up on the trays.  Very difficult to clean.   So, yes I threw out so much make up, either old, or just not wearing it.  The most expensive was Estee Lauder futurist foundation,  what a waste $$, just didn't like it!  Threw out some old shadows, a make up balm that went on orange, a couple of mascaras I didn't like, just to name a few.  Then I got the urge to buy everything new, LOL.  My vanity drawer is for my moisturizers, and lip sticks, that's all good.   I do line the compartments with paper towels.  Feels good to have everything clean and organized. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus , same for me, I always get myself somewhat made up, even if I'm just staying in.  I'll definitely go lighter, maybe just a powder, blush, little mascara,  lil eye brightener,  and ALWAYS lipstick,  even if it's just a little liner, and baby lips balm.  I feel better to look at myself,  LOL

Errands,  appts,  etc I always get made up...I just feel better about how I look...and it's fun!

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal, thanks so much for the information on the charity. I went straight to my train case and vanity drawer and found a lot to donate. that makes me feel less guilty about all the money I spent!

we recently moved to be close to our daughter and grandbaby. we keep him 3 or more days a week, so most of my days are now spent in tee shirts and yoga pants, covered in baby slobber and half chewed teething biscuits. a ponytail, a tinted moisturizer and lip balm are the most I can usually manage, which is what prompted my thoughts about purging.

on the days that we don't have the grandbaby, we usually run an errand or two and sometimes go out to lunch. on those days, I do wear actual clothes and put on makeup, but I keep it much more simple now. Smiley Happy

thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and suggestions.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich