Trusted Contributor

Re: which home hair color should I get?

If I'm a lght brown with gold. Do I get a color lighter or  an ash based shade?

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

It really depends on whether you use permanent, semi-permanent, or temporary color. They're all different.

I use permanent, and found that the deciding factor was whether the color would go reddish or brassy on me. I'd always choose the cooler ash shades in dark blonde or light brown, but the cheaper dyes would go red. You can get a sense when you look at the shade ranges in a line. If there aren't many ash tones and they don't look that cool, they probably won't be very true to ash, or stay that way. Colorsilk was very bad for me. It gave me welfare hair.

I'm using a L'Oreal mousse color that was discontinued. I bought deep on Amazon and will use it up later this year, when I'll start a new search, so I'm not much help.

If you give more details on the kind of dye and color you want, you may be more specific suggestions.

@noodleann, I used L'Oreal Natural Match, Dark Blonde Cool for years, then they discontinued it much to my dismay. I continued with Healthy Look in the Dark Blonde. The color was exactly the same -- perfect -- but then they discontinued that. I've hoarded about 5 boxes, but I don't think there are any more in circulation. I also do blonde highlights over the color.

I don't know what I'm going to do next. Luckily, I only have to redo my roots on my long hair every 8-10 weeks.

What do you think you'll go to next? I won't use any product with ammonia.

So you understand my problem. I don't know what I'll do next, but I don't think I'll look now. By the time my stash runs out, there may be new products on the market, and the ones that are available now will just be 6 months closer to being discontinued (sorry for the cynical outlook, but that's the way things seem to work in this world).

I also started looking into professional haircolor that can be bought from Sally and other online sellers, where there's a much broader range of colors. Using the professional products requires more knowledge than the home kits, but that's just a matter of research and asking questions in forums devoted to this kind of product.

Ammonia doesn't bother me and I haven't had bad results with haircolor that had it, but it's always nicer when it's not in a product that's sitting on your head for 20 to 30 minutes.

Trusted Contributor

I use Clairol's Natural Instincts Creme in medium golden brown.

It is not permanent but is supposed to last for about 4 to 6 weeks. I use it to cover my gray roots. I really like the Creme formula better than the liquid. Much less messy. And I think it looks natural. Since I'm mainly covering my gray roots I apply most of it there but then work a little bit through the rest of my hair. Love it!

Honored Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67

Go to a professional colorist and have it done right.   Too many women color their own hair and, boy, you can tell .... it looks just awful!    Pay to have it done right.   JMO

Honored Contributor

Natural instincts.  I used it for quite a few years.  It always turned out really pretty and looked like I had highlights in my hair.  It does not have Ammonia which is a good thing.  You want to color your hair not change the natural color.  Hair colors with ammonia will take a toll on your hair.  I no longer color my hair but it is still healthy because I did not use ammonia hair colors.  If you go to a beauty salon ask for "Shades."  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

When you say you can't get home hair color right, what are you trying to do?

My problem is my hair has a real tendency to pull gold.  If I use ash tones, the ash grabs on my porous ends and my hair looks gray.  Even at a salon they have a heck of a time with my hair and it always, always needs a toner.

I have heard some color experts say that it's very hard to get a good blonde from the drugstore and that blonde is best left to the professionals at a salon, where brunettes have an easier time.  It's also my understanding that you should not attempt to go more than 2 shades off from your natural color with at home products.   

Respected Contributor

A question for the ladies coloring their hair at home...do you always apply 1st at roots then put some in the ends or do you wait awhile then half way thur put the rest on your ends OR only color roots/outgrowth?

I get mine done at the salon and I am never very happy with color.  I pull orange and too much red (she is adding in red I am sure) I tell her I look like an orange in all my photos and I can see red undertones.  Drives me nuts!!

I have to wash my hair daily....I workout and I sweat alot....I can't do the 1 time per week thing or even 2 times per week....once in a blue moon I skip a day.  

I would love to have my hair a nice light brown with beige or coolish undertones....I have sensitive scalp issues....a good amount of gray to cover....and any product with heavy flora/perfume scent while processing is a no go...makes me so ill.  

Suggestions??

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite, I have had 2 salon experiences with horrid results. Similar to your experience, I came out with a peachy color when I wanted light brown with blonde highlights. One of these salons was a ritzy NYC name. After those experiences, I decided to do my color at home and I've been very happy.

I've had long hair for years. Right now it's a few inches below my shoulders. I've been doing my own color for the past 15 years or so, and for 15 years, all I have done each time are the roots. My inital at home application was all over, of course, but I didn't want to have color build-up on my hair with repeated all over applications, which is why I do the roots only. 

This has worked well for me because the color I use is only one shade lighter than my own, I take good care of my hair in not exposing it to too much sun (where the ends would be bleached out), I don't use any product or over-use heating tools, and I only shampoo every 3 or 4 days. Sometimes in the winter, once a week.

I can't make a suggestion because as I posted earlier, two L'Oreal products I have been using have both been discontinued. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite, according to the instructions included with home hair coloring, if you are sticking with a color you already have, you are just supposed to do the roots and then for the last 5 minutes pull through to the ends.  If you are changing your color or coloring for the first time, you are supposed to apply the color everywhere and leave on the specified amount of time.

When you color at home, I think you will start to know.  As the other poster said, when I did mine at home, I did roots and never ends after the first time.  I have fine hair that has pretty much always been color treated so my hair is porous.  I didn't want color build-up. 

I would also say that if you are having those color issues with a professional, go to someone else.  It's your money and you shouldn't have to pay for something you aren't happy with and she should be able to get you to where you want to be with your color. If she can't move on.

I know my hair can be colored the way I want it because it's been done. The problem is, I'm going to a relative (to avoid a family rift) and she's not doing what I want.  The last time my hair was far too gold at the roots.  She didn't put a toner on and it needed it.  I let it go and complained when I got home.  My sister told me I should complain to her because it's not like she's giving me a break on the price.  I'm paying her like any other customer.  This is why I didn't want to go to a relative.  Woman Surprised      

Trusted Contributor

It is looking for permqnent- and I don't enjoy trip yo salon..