Trusted Contributor

which home hair color should I get?

I stink when it comes to home hair color, but every so oten I would love to try the boxes at the store.. Which one in your opinion is the best- I know there is cilorsilk, nice and easy, excellence, and then there is madison reede. So which one do you like best? TIA-Magpie

Respected Contributor

Re: which home hair color should I get?

I use Nice N Easy. It works for me--really covers the grays.

Trusted Contributor

One score for clairol.

Frequent Contributor

I usually get John Freida.  The color lasts longer for me.  It costs a little more (~$10) but the color will stay fresh for 4 wks til I touch up.  

I occasionally buy ColorSilk.  I like the way you squeeze it on better than the Freida but need to redo it after 2 wks.  Costs only $3 at walmart so I save money doing it twice as often, except for my time!

Valued Contributor

I've used several over the many years I've colored my hair myself.  I prefer madison-reed. I get great color, good color retention, shine, no irritation, and compliments on my hair....even from DH. This is the most expensive color I've used but IMO well worth it.

Valued Contributor

I prefer Schwarzkopf Color Ultime product line from Wal-Mart.  If you watch the papers you can get coupons to lower the cost.  It is a beautiful color range and covers the greys for quite a while about a month for me because I don't wash my hair more than once a week.   

Respected Contributor

It really depends on whether you use permanent, semi-permanent, or temporary color. They're all different.

I use permanent, and found that the deciding factor was whether the color would go reddish or brassy on me. I'd always choose the cooler ash shades in dark blonde or light brown, but the cheaper dyes would go red. You can get a sense when you look at the shade ranges in a line. If there aren't many ash tones and they don't look that cool, they probably won't be very true to ash, or stay that way. Colorsilk was very bad for me. It gave me welfare hair.

I'm using a L'Oreal mousse color that was discontinued. I bought deep on Amazon and will use it up later this year, when I'll start a new search, so I'm not much help.

If you give more details on the kind of dye and color you want, you may be more specific suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Colorsilk for me for the last 20 years, permanent, gentle, no ammonia and $3 at Walmart and Target. I use Dark Auburn.

Honored Contributor

I prefer L'Oreal products.  Which one depends on your goal.

You should check their website ... lots of info on choosing the right color and product.

lorealparisusa.com/products/hair-color.aspx

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

It really depends on whether you use permanent, semi-permanent, or temporary color. They're all different.

I use permanent, and found that the deciding factor was whether the color would go reddish or brassy on me. I'd always choose the cooler ash shades in dark blonde or light brown, but the cheaper dyes would go red. You can get a sense when you look at the shade ranges in a line. If there aren't many ash tones and they don't look that cool, they probably won't be very true to ash, or stay that way. Colorsilk was very bad for me. It gave me welfare hair.

I'm using a L'Oreal mousse color that was discontinued. I bought deep on Amazon and will use it up later this year, when I'll start a new search, so I'm not much help.

If you give more details on the kind of dye and color you want, you may be more specific suggestions.

@noodleann, I used L'Oreal Natural Match, Dark Blonde Cool for years, then they discontinued it much to my dismay. I continued with Healthy Look in the Dark Blonde. The color was exactly the same -- perfect -- but then they discontinued that. I've hoarded about 5 boxes, but I don't think there are any more in circulation. I also do blonde highlights over the color.

I don't know what I'm going to do next. Luckily, I only have to redo my roots on my long hair every 8-10 weeks.

What do you think you'll go to next? I won't use any product with ammonia.