Honored Contributor

Re: what is YOUR facial cleasning oil preference?

@MissKlynn wrote:

Funny enough, I just happen to have STRONG opinion about the two options OP asked about.... Bare Minerals or Josie Maran!

I have used the Bare Minerals cleansing oil for the last year, really mostly when I wear a lot of makeup.  I LOVE that stuff!  Moves around on dry skin like silk and melts off the waterproof eye makeup like magic.  Otherwise I use Skinn cleansers on a daily basis.  

Was about to run out of the Bare Minerals cleansing oil and bought the Josie Maran cleansing oil in an OTO a few months back.  Just opened it up about a week ago and OMG that stuff is horrible!  Like another poster said, it turns into a sticky mess and feels like tar?  Yuck.  And somehow a just get a slip of it near my mouth everytime and it sends my taste buds into gag mode! YUCK again! Never thought there would be such a vast difference in cleansing oils.  I rarely toss a full bottle of something but that is seriously trash can worthy.  I also don't like her exfoliating powder at all, it just doesn't ever seem to emulsify or turn creamy. I've used Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant enzyme powder for 15+ years and nothing has compared to that... yet.

Interesting to see the other suggestions here, thanks OP for starting the thread!  

oh yes I forgot about that too. Like thick honey or something. Seemed to tug at my skin which is not cool, lol. And glad I am not the only one with the "taste" issue. Odd, isn't it??

Honored Contributor

@MissKlynn, I just saw your post and I wanted to say hi. It's good to see you around here. I hope life is treating you well. Smiley Happy

-- bebeSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I don't use facial cleansing oil but I do use Vermont Organic Oatmeal Lavender soap and have used it exclusively for nearly 20 years (since it was sold on QVC).  It is formulated for dry, sensitive skin and removes makeup easily.  I love it!

Regular Contributor

Thank you all! I am def going to take a look at all of this. I, myself, have never tried any cleansing oil and would like to do so. A lot of these brands i have never heard of so, thanks to the good people at google, i will be learning a lot more!

Blessings to you all !

Trusted Contributor

@MissKlynn wrote:

Funny enough, I just happen to have STRONG opinion about the two options OP asked about.... Bare Minerals or Josie Maran!

I have used the Bare Minerals cleansing oil for the last year, really mostly when I wear a lot of makeup.  I LOVE that stuff!  Moves around on dry skin like silk and melts off the waterproof eye makeup like magic.  Otherwise I use Skinn cleansers on a daily basis.  

Was about to run out of the Bare Minerals cleansing oil and bought the Josie Maran cleansing oil in an OTO a few months back.  Just opened it up about a week ago and OMG that stuff is horrible!  Like another poster said, it turns into a sticky mess and feels like tar?  Yuck.  And somehow a just get a slip of it near my mouth everytime and it sends my taste buds into gag mode! YUCK again! Never thought there would be such a vast difference in cleansing oils.  I rarely toss a full bottle of something but that is seriously trash can worthy.  I also don't like her exfoliating powder at all, it just doesn't ever seem to emulsify or turn creamy. I've used Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant enzyme powder for 15+ years and nothing has compared to that... yet.

Interesting to see the other suggestions here, thanks OP for starting the thread!  

@MissKlynnGood to see Bareminerals is nice. I love trying each one! Bobbi Brown's never fails and Vichy has a nice one out now. DHC was my first venture into this wonderful world of oil cleansing! Omgosh I soooo agree Josie Maran cleansing oil was bad! It was disgusting to me! It must have  became rancid ..even though not old! I am sure this is why everyone is saying it's so sticky, it was old or in heat too long I believe. Also after trying soo many products like this I can see it's made with very low quality ingredients in my opinion. When I tried it the first time, some water with the oil got near my lips / mouth while washing my face and it was bitter as heck .. I knew this wasn't right...my skin had a residue feeling leftover as well and was red in spots the next day...I  trashed it too!  it was gross and normally I'd give it to my sisters but no way lol! I posted about this  a while ago so I  guess I'm not alone on JMs cleansing oil experience. 

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried adding jojoba and other kinds of oils to the castor oil and reduced the castor oil, but just couldnt get it right. I even bought pump bottles to make it easier, and the oils would not pump out!  It was just becoming a project lol.  I'm doing well with the combo oils from Instanaturals and other days I just use Cetaphil cleanser.  

Occasional Contributor

I like Josie Maran because it's thicker and less messy than other ones I've tried.  I've tried the Philosophy Purity one and the Clinique one as well as one by Garnier but JM is my favorite.  The others are just way too thin and go everywhere.

Occasional Contributor

I forgot to mention that my skin tends to get pretty oily by the end of the work day but since I started using JM cleansing oil and applying the argan oil at night, it decreases the oil production in my skin during the day.  So if you have oily skin, don't be scared of oils.  I just wouldn't recommend putting it on under your makeup.

Respected Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@MissKlynn wrote:

@MissKlynnGood to see Bareminerals is nice. I love trying each one! Bobbi Brown's never fails and Vichy has a nice one out now. DHC was my first venture into this wonderful world of oil cleansing! Omgosh I soooo agree Josie Maran cleansing oil was bad! It was disgusting to me! It must have  became rancid ..even though not old! I am sure this is why everyone is saying it's so sticky, it was old or in heat too long I believe. Also after trying soo many products like this I can see it's made with very low quality ingredients in my opinion. When I tried it the first time, some water with the oil got near my lips / mouth while washing my face and it was bitter as heck .. I knew this wasn't right...my skin had a residue feeling leftover as well and was red in spots the next day...I  trashed it too!  it was gross and normally I'd give it to my sisters but no way lol! I posted about this  a while ago so I  guess I'm not alone on JMs cleansing oil experience. 

@mimi5775 and @MissKlynn - Blech!  I so agree about the JM cleansing oil.  One tiny drop of that in your mouth is a bitter, bitter experience.  I really don't like the heaviness of it either.  I've never tried Bare Minerals so I'll keep,it in mind. 

OP, sorry to gang up on your fav.  Don't mean to diss you.  Obviously, many like it as she sells a good bit of it.  I'm sure we're the minority.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

so while reading this post and checking my FB page, up popped a story from Organic Spa magazine and it was about using organic products and how important exfoliation is.

the link took me to a page filled with companies that sell to spas and I was drooling over some of the products. However, I am not familiar with any of them since I haven't seen them in retail.

One line I have heard of and it is quite expensive. I clicked on one of the products which was a cleanser and was actually lusting for it. Too bad the line is so expensive. Apparently hand made at a farm in Vermont., It is called Tata Harper, anyone know or use anything from this line.

This product really had me intrigued because it sounded like something I would have made in my kitchen many years ago when I was experimenting with making all my own products using herbs from my garden.

Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser

ingredients:

Willow bark, aloe vera, pink clay, apricot seed kernels, grapefruit, bergamot; organic and wild-crafted essential oils, vegetable oils, natural extracts
• Made in USA

ETA: these are the ingredients in their cleansing oil:

Rosa canina seed oil; sunflower seed oil; shea butter ethyl esters; polyglyceryl-4 oleate; Apricot Kernel Oil; jojoba seed oil; olive oil; argan kernel oil; plukenetia (Sacha Inchi) Volubilis; jojoba esters; camellia oleifera seed oil, aroma; alfalfa extract; arnica leaves and flowers; calendula flower extract; comfrey leaves; borage leaf extract; meadowsweet flower extract; sambucus nigra fruit extract; clinical grade essential oils blend
• Cruelty Free; Certified Organic
• Made in USA

I make a concoction of oils and include borage, meadowfoam, sweet orange oil, lavendar, rosemary, and argan in mine but it is my nighttime sleeping oil. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.