Honored Contributor

Re: what is YOUR facial cleasning oil preference?

I use and love One Love Organics cleansing oil. It removes every trace of makeup without any irritation and without any burning or stinging in the eyes, and it rinses off easily.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I use the Bare Minerals brand.

Super Contributor

I tried The Oil Cleansing Method and the castor oil was so drying.  Now I have giant bottles of a bunch of oils I'm not using.  I got a premade cleansing oil from Instanaturals on Amazon and that works great.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've tried sooo many and the one I love and have been using for almost two years now is One Love Organics. Best. stuff. evah! Like SuzyQ said, it removes all traces of makeup and leaves my skin soft and supple, never tight, irritated or dry. And one of the few that is CRUELTY FREE if you care about that.

I did not like the Tatcha one as it dried my skin out. Come to find out, it contains the drying kind of alcohol, which explains why it did what it did to my skin. Who would have thought a cleansing oil could dry out your skin and make it feel tight??

Josie's was awful- left a weird taste in my mouth even though I never got any in my mouth and barely removed makeup.

I could go on and on about others that failed me, lol.

Trusted Contributor

I've used oils in a double cleanse rutual off and on over the past 30 years. In the past I've used Erno Lazlo, DHC and Tatcha. Currently I am using Eclos Daily Facial Cleansing Oil. It runs $10.99, is sold at Ulta and has a lot of rave reviews. From Ulta's site: "A soap-free, nourishing cleansing oil that deep cleans without over-stripping skin, making it perfect for all skin types. Lightweight, non-comedogenic Argan, Kukui Nut, Olive, and Sesame oils capture and remove daily debris and make-up easily from the skin's surface without excess friction that can agitate skin. Conditioning oils help balance sebum production, leaving dry and aging skin more moisturized while regulating excess oiliness in oily and breakout-prone skin. Vitamin E, found naturally in antioxidant-rich Argan Oil, pairs with ultra-emollient Kukui Nut Oil to soothe, soften, and hydrate skin.

Daily Facial Cleansing Oil is part of the Eclos anti-aging skin care system. Eclos products are exclusively formulated with apple stem Cell Technology extracted from a rare Swiss Apple, clinically proven to reduce wrinkles and improve skin texture in 2 weeks. Formulated without parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, mineral oil or petroleum."

I am a product junkie and may try The Body Shop's Camomile Silky Oil cleanser next as it also has some good reviews. Although Tatcha's Camilia cleansing oil was lovely at first, midway thhrough the bottle I started breaking out. Then I noticed in small letters "Shake Before Using" which I had not been doing. So I must have used up whatever oils were working well for my skin first and whatever was left in the bottle was causing me to break out. I've been told the bottle does not say Shake Before Using anymore. Even so, I think Tatcha's is too expensive and other brands such as Eclos and DHC as well as some I haven't tried yet are just as good and s lot less expensive. I like a cleansing oil that emulsifies with water so it rinses off easily so for that reason, although I used Erno Lazlo a lot in my younger days, I no longer care for their cleansing oil.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the kind words, QPrincess!

You have all given great feedback! I need to investigate these products!

Some of you have mentioned how well your makeup comes off with certain products. How can you tell if all of your makeup has been removed? For me, i always wash more than once and can tell by looking at my Clarisonic brush. Thoughts?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Funny enough, I just happen to have STRONG opinion about the two options OP asked about.... Bare Minerals or Josie Maran!

I have used the Bare Minerals cleansing oil for the last year, really mostly when I wear a lot of makeup.  I LOVE that stuff!  Moves around on dry skin like silk and melts off the waterproof eye makeup like magic.  Otherwise I use Skinn cleansers on a daily basis.  

Was about to run out of the Bare Minerals cleansing oil and bought the Josie Maran cleansing oil in an OTO a few months back.  Just opened it up about a week ago and OMG that stuff is horrible!  Like another poster said, it turns into a sticky mess and feels like tar?  Yuck.  And somehow a just get a slip of it near my mouth everytime and it sends my taste buds into gag mode! YUCK again! Never thought there would be such a vast difference in cleansing oils.  I rarely toss a full bottle of something but that is seriously trash can worthy.  I also don't like her exfoliating powder at all, it just doesn't ever seem to emulsify or turn creamy. I've used Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant enzyme powder for 15+ years and nothing has compared to that... yet.

Interesting to see the other suggestions here, thanks OP for starting the thread!  

Honored Contributor

@Merciful One wrote:

Thank you for the kind words, QPrincess!

You have all given great feedback! I need to investigate these products!

Some of you have mentioned how well your makeup comes off with certain products. How can you tell if all of your makeup has been removed? For me, i always wash more than once and can tell by looking at my Clarisonic brush. Thoughts?

Whenever I try out a new cleanser, I use a toner afterwards to make sure all the makeup and daily grit has been removed. If it hasn't, there will be a bit of residue on the cotton pad. I don't use cleansers that require multi stepts to get my face clean so if there was residue on my cotton pad, I no longer used the cleanser. I just don't have the time or patience to use a two step cleansing process. Plus it costs more money to do so. I like simple yet effective beauty routines.

Honored Contributor

@Ladyjenn wrote:

I tried The Oil Cleansing Method and the castor oil was so drying.  Now I have giant bottles of a bunch of oils I'm not using.  I got a premade cleansing oil from Instanaturals on Amazon and that works great.

If it was drying you needed to use less Castor oil, more olive oil. Castor oil is more for oily/combo skin.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have been using the love oil cleanser from DHC Skincare for over 10 years, tried many other things but none have worked as well for me. It gets the waterproof mascara off best of all, as well as emulsifies great so there is no feeling of residue or stale makeup left. However, I am ever willing to try something new, so I'm going to our local Ulta and buy the Eclos another reviewer mentioned. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop