Honored Contributor

Re: what do you do if your mate doesn't like/want you to wear makeup?

On 8/13/2014 Persephonel said: I asked him why and he doesn't know why, he just likes me natural. I do wear it anyway.

OP, I read halfway down the first page and saw some spot on advice and suggestions ..... then I went back up to the top to note your screen name and then scanned to see if you'd provided any further information to give more of an idea what situation you're in.

You don't say if this is a new relationship .... or a husband of many years ...... but the guy was attracted to you in makeup when you first met, so it doesn't repulse him! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Keep an eye out for other controlling behavior. Life is much too short to have to deal with controlling men. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

Weird. He states an opinion with no input. I believe he knows why just not a good communicator and it is really not fair to you.

Esteemed Contributor

Ignore him/her--and do as you wish.

Respected Contributor

My husband has never said anything either way. I don't wear it much anyways. It's usually if we are going out to dinner. He really doesn't really even care what I wear. I don't know if that is good or bad thing. I usually look nice just for my own sake. If you like make-up, use it. If really loves you, he should be able to get past that. Do what makes you happy.

Valued Contributor

On 8/13/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 8/13/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 8/13/2014 Persephonel said:
On 8/13/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

He has, and is entitled to, an opinion. Maybe he thinks you look beautiful without it. There's a difference between saying he doesn't like you wearing and doesn't want you to, than insisting that you don't wear it.

Find out what he doesn't like about it. Compromise. Wear none or wear less when you're around him. Maybe he just doesn't care for bold/bright makeup and prefers the softer more natural look. Try different makeup and different techniques to see what he likes and doesn't.

I would not get rid of him just for that. Maybe he's a great guy otherwise. Now if he's controlling, or controlling in other areas that's different.

he is a great guy

Some of the replies here just bug the heck out of me. They never even care what kind of person that man is, it's always the typical, "Dump him fast! He's a control freak. Be careful. blah blah blah". VERY annoying! I don't know why some women need to be that way.{#emotions_dlg.mad}

With all due respect to the OP, she didn't exactly give us the information we needed to go on. If she had said in her opening post what she has added in her subsequent posts, I think you would have a seen this thread go in a very different direction.

IMO, I'm now not seeing that there is even a problem, based on her follow-up remarks.

So I don't think it's fair at all to blame posters who had nothing to go on but that a man told his wife that he doesn't like her to wear make-up. It did sound as if there might a problem in terms of one spouse trying to exert control over the other spouse.

I guess I should have given more information, I just wondered if anyone had the same problem , and how you dealt with it.
Respected Contributor

Only a control freak and insecure man would say that.

My face and body, therefore my final decision.

Honored Contributor

Is this a new philosophy on his part or is it a new relationship? If it's a change, then I'd be curious as to why. If it's a new relationship and this is just coming to light then yes, there's still plenty of time to rethink what you have in common and what you don't... Perhaps some of these questions are answered above, but I have admit, I didn't choose to read the whole thread...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Do what makes me happy

Deb

Honored Contributor

Tell him to mind his own business....my face, I'll do as I please, it is not permanent.

Now if he didn't like tatoos and I wanted one I would consider not getting one if he really objected.

Honored Contributor

Wear makeup to suit yourself the vast majority of the time. And then every so often on the weekend go barefaced just for him. Everyone's happy.

Same thing as being a sensible shoe girl married to a stiletto guy. Or a plain underwear vs lacy matchup. You do your own thing most of the time and sometimes do something special to make the man smile.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr