Super Contributor

Re: what do you do if your mate doesn't like/want you to wear makeup?

My BF is much the same but he hates my bathroom time, thinks it's a bunch of goop, thinks that the cosmetic industry is selling women a bunch of bs and his mother only used one cream her whole life and his sister never wears mu. So in lieu of all that, I wear what I want and take all the time that I need to do it.

Respected Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Persephonel said:
On 8/13/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

He has, and is entitled to, an opinion. Maybe he thinks you look beautiful without it. There's a difference between saying he doesn't like you wearing and doesn't want you to, than insisting that you don't wear it.

Find out what he doesn't like about it. Compromise. Wear none or wear less when you're around him. Maybe he just doesn't care for bold/bright makeup and prefers the softer more natural look. Try different makeup and different techniques to see what he likes and doesn't.

I would not get rid of him just for that. Maybe he's a great guy otherwise. Now if he's controlling, or controlling in other areas that's different.

he is a great guy

Some of the replies here just bug the heck out of me. They never even care what kind of person that man is, it's always the typical, "Dump him fast! He's a control freak. Be careful. blah blah blah". VERY annoying! I don't know why some women need to be that way.{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Respected Contributor

On 8/13/2014 santorini said:

Get rid of your mate. Smile

My response also. He's seen me w/out makeup so knows the alternative...day after long day, and not a happy alternative at that!

Respected Contributor

He has, and is entitled to, an opinion. Maybe he thinks you look beautiful without it. There's a difference between saying he doesn't like you wearing and doesn't want you to, than insisting that you don't wear it.

Find out what he doesn't like about it. Compromise. Wear none or wear less when you're around him. Maybe he just doesn't care for bold/bright makeup and prefers the softer more natural look. Try different makeup and different techniques to see what he likes and doesn't.

I would not get rid of him just for that. Maybe he's a great guy otherwise. Now if he's controlling, or controlling in other areas that's different.

he is a great guy

Some of the replies here just bug the heck out of me. They never even care what kind of person that man is, it's always the typical, "Dump him fast! He's a control freak. Be careful. blah blah blah". VERY annoying! I don't know why some women need to be that way.{#emotions_dlg.mad}

try being in my shoes and you'd find out fast.

Respected Contributor

On 8/13/2014 maestra said:

try being in my shoes and you'd find out fast.

Not all men are pure evil. Women just need to stop assuming they are. There's PLENTY of great guys out there.

Respected Contributor

My dad told my mom she didn't need makeup, so she never wore any. When I first started experimenting with makeup as a teen, my mom liked the way it looked and started buying it for herself. My dad was livid and warned me he didn't like her spending money on frivolities. So much for the you don't NEED makeup. LOL.
Honored Contributor

This reminds me of a friend that I used to meet for dinner once a month. About a year and a half after she loss her husband of 30+ years, she met someone else. I immediately noticed that her look started to change. She used to always have long manicured nails with a polish color reflecting her mood at the time. I started noticing she was wearing her nails short with clear polish. I commented on it and she said "John doesn't like colored polish". Then I noticed she was dressing rather plainly which was in direct contrast with her style. Another friend commented. She received the reply, "John doesn't like me to dress in a way that causes attention to myself". Next she stopped wearing her heels. Finally John decided she met us for dinner too often so now we see her twice a year. Be careful.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Valued Contributor

Wearing (and loving) makeup is part of who I am. I'm not willing to change such an integral part of myself for anyone. I'm afraid he'd have to live with my makeup routine if he wanted to live with me.
Super Contributor

he is a great guy

I'd just find a compromise. Wear makeup for work and evenings out, but a more natural look on weekends - light mineral powder, light pinky blush and mascara or nothing except great "no makeup needed" skincare Maybe take your makeup off when you get home instead of before you go to bed.

Honored Contributor

he is a great guy

With all due respect to the OP, she didn't exactly give us the information we needed to go on. If she had said in her opening post what she has added in her subsequent posts, I think you would have a seen this thread go in a very different direction.

IMO, I'm now not seeing that there is even a problem, based on her follow-up remarks.

So I don't think it's fair at all to blame posters who had nothing to go on but that a man told his wife that he doesn't like her to wear make-up. It did sound as if there might a problem in terms of one spouse trying to exert control over the other spouse.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland