Trusted Contributor

Re: what do you do if your mate doesn't like/want you to wear makeup?

It's never been an issue for me personally, but if someone did try to tell me how to wear makeup, I would tell them to be quiet. Sounds very controlling to me.

Honored Contributor

On 8/13/2014 happy housewife said:

Everyone here is assuming this is a problem with him - maybe it is a problem with her - she may be wearing way too much or maybe he is allergic to it - maybe she is in the bathroom half the day applying and reapplying MU.Maybe she is spending way more than they can afford.

I think the OP needs to sit down with him and discuss why he said this to her.

Why do the posters on this BB always want to assume that men are always wrong or at fault? That is not always true.

For goodness' sake, you think the all these posters are assuming facts not stated, yet off you go with your own various assumptions.

They're reacting to the few words that they were given. And the majority DID say that she should find out what's behind his comment.

So please, spare us your rant about how we're all anti-male.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Find a new mate.

Valued Contributor

I'd ask him why first. Perhaps the woman is piling it on like Tammy Faye Bakker, and needs to tone it down. Perhaps she's not wearing colors that flatter her skin tone which can really look quite garish. I hate to say it, but we're in a trend of a really heavy makeup look, especially eye makeup. All the magazines, beauty counters and blogs are pushing that black eyeliner/black mascara/smoky eyes should be on our faces 24/7. Springs, most Summers & most Autumns are ghastly in black overload. Brown and black/brown mascara are your friends. This is an evening look that women are wearing to the grocery store and kid's softball games!

However, if he's objecting to a little blush, mascara and lip gloss, it definitely may be a control issue.

Valued Contributor

I asked him why and he doesn't know why, he just likes me natural. I do wear it anyway.
Respected Contributor

He has, and is entitled to, an opinion. Maybe he thinks you look beautiful without it. There's a difference between saying he doesn't like you wearing and doesn't want you to, than insisting that you don't wear it.

Find out what he doesn't like about it. Compromise. Wear none or wear less when you're around him. Maybe he just doesn't care for bold/bright makeup and prefers the softer more natural look. Try different makeup and different techniques to see what he likes and doesn't.

I would not get rid of him just for that. Maybe he's a great guy otherwise. Now if he's controlling, or controlling in other areas that's different.

Honored Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Persephonel said: I asked him why and he doesn't know why, he just likes me natural. I do wear it anyway.

Well, if it's just his own preference but not any kind of demand, then I really don't see the problem. I'd continue to do as you're doing, assuming that you aren't channeling Tammy Faye Baker. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

On 8/13/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

He has, and is entitled to, an opinion. Maybe he thinks you look beautiful without it. There's a difference between saying he doesn't like you wearing and doesn't want you to, than insisting that you don't wear it.

Find out what he doesn't like about it. Compromise. Wear none or wear less when you're around him. Maybe he just doesn't care for bold/bright makeup and prefers the softer more natural look. Try different makeup and different techniques to see what he likes and doesn't.

I would not get rid of him just for that. Maybe he's a great guy otherwise. Now if he's controlling, or controlling in other areas that's different.

he is a great guy
Respected Contributor

I'd ask him why.

My DH asks me why I don't wear make-up anymore. I tell him the reason(s) and he is satisfied with my reply.

Valued Contributor

On 8/13/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 8/13/2014 Persephonel said: I asked him why and he doesn't know why, he just likes me natural. I do wear it anyway.

Well, if it's just his own preference but not any kind of demand, then I really don't see the problem. I'd continue to do as you're doing, assuming that you aren't channeling Tammy Faye Baker. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

lol no, I try to keep it natural looking.