Honored Contributor
On 11/15/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I'm not sure why this would make you not buy a product. Whether it's a person who works only for one company or a person who works for several, they're still selling. Seems to me that the only thing that matters is how well they describe the product.

I think I know where the OP might be coming from with this, at least partly. My feeling is that vendor reps used to actually be reps from the company, so they know the product inside and out and their enthusiasm is genuine. A very few vendor reps on QVC still are from the company - food vendors come to mind. But when you have, say, an electronics vendor who reps for all kinds of electronics including competing companies (cell phones, for example), I feel that they would say anything, including misleading customers, to get people to buy as I'm sure how much they earn is at least in part based on how much they rep sells. I pretty much don't believe their claims, because they may say product A is the absolute best on Monday and two weeks later swear a direct competitor, B, is the most desirable/best. Tablets, anyone? It makes the vendor reps just like the hosts - claiming every product is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So it's irritating to me because it reinforces that QVC thinks I'm stupid and gullible enough to believe their special electronics (for example) "expert" about every product they rep on air.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

They are all ""hired guns"".

Honored Contributor
When I've seen a vendor represent different products, it made me wonder if they really knew the product.
Honored Contributor
On 11/15/2014 graycatsrule said: When I've seen a vendor represent different products, it made me wonder if they really knew the product.

Exactly. Or cared anything about it either. We know the hosts don't care about every item they sell, but we'd like to think a genuine rep involved with a company does know and care. I can't buy that from a rent-a-rep.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

If they are the rep. for one company,I feel they would be more knowledgable about the product and able to give us a more informed presentation.As the op said,it was her feeling,and this is mine.We are all entitled to our opinions!

Super Contributor

So, OP, if you worked in sales would you only and forever work for just one company, selling one thing?

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Honored Contributor
On 11/15/2014 moonchilde said:
On 11/15/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I'm not sure why this would make you not buy a product. Whether it's a person who works only for one company or a person who works for several, they're still selling. Seems to me that the only thing that matters is how well they describe the product.

I think I know where the OP might be coming from with this, at least partly. My feeling is that vendor reps used to actually be reps from the company, so they know the product inside and out and their enthusiasm is genuine. A very few vendor reps on QVC still are from the company - food vendors come to mind. But when you have, say, an electronics vendor who reps for all kinds of electronics including competing companies (cell phones, for example), I feel that they would say anything, including misleading customers, to get people to buy as I'm sure how much they earn is at least in part based on how much they rep sells. I pretty much don't believe their claims, because they may say product A is the absolute best on Monday and two weeks later swear a direct competitor, B, is the most desirable/best. Tablets, anyone? It makes the vendor reps just like the hosts - claiming every product is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So it's irritating to me because it reinforces that QVC thinks I'm stupid and gullible enough to believe their special electronics (for example) "expert" about every product they rep on air.

Okay. I just don't see it that way, though, moonchilde. I don't have more or less confidence based on the way that they are employed. I don't see why that would make them more or less trustworthy or even more or less knowledgeable. As for how they are compensated, I have no clue. But both types of reps might be paid based on numbers.

I think it's a distinction without a difference because ultimately, they are salespeople.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Indeed, we are all entitled to our own opinions. And mine is that a good salesperson could be well-versed in multiple product lines and perfectly capable of representing them each. I worked retail for years in my teens and early 20s, and sold many different brands with equal enthusiasm throughout that time. Smile

Frequent Contributor

I don't have a problem with it. There are several companies on the Q that have many lines of product, such as Philosophy. Makeup, skincare, hair care, bath products, perfume, heck haven't they had candles at one point? One could argue that that no one person could really know all those products.

So if someone sells rotisseries, mirrors and a hand vac at various times (or whatever), I don't see what the big deal is.

CeeCee

Honored Contributor
On 11/15/2014 brewhaha said:

They are all "hired guns".

yes, at the end of the day, all of the vendors and hosts are just salespeople.....buyer beware, as the saying goes!