Occasional Contributor

too many products have change

philosophy sold to coty and coty took all the scents out.   tarte sold and not the same.  bare minerals sold...ruined. now mally keeps reinventing her products not for the good.  the fashion line is sooo over priced.   up until 2 yrs ago i never returned  anything because i loved it, except philosophy, and now it all goes back. qvc is going to miss me

Super Contributor

Re: too many products have change

I have to agree kchase.....Philosophy headed by Christina Carlino and Bare Minerals headed by Leslie Blodgett were companies that knew their customer and cared about the product they put out.  Now that these companies have been sold to big companies the products are nowhere near what they once were.  Philosophy is especially disappointing with the lack of staying power on all their fragrances now.  And Mally was a favorite of mine, but no more, the products now are beyond inferior to what they once were.  I just don't see how people who bought products from any of these companies originally can possibly have remained a customer with what has been done to the products. 

I'm with you, my money goes elsewhere now.

Honored Contributor

@kchase You are so right,  I like Clarks shoes but in the last couple years the sizing is off.  Returning gets old fast.  I know what you mean about the Cosmetic companies.  I actually miss Maureen from Tarte, the lady from Bare Minerals and the one from Philosophy.  These women that built up their companies are in it for the money.  I am sure Josie will be next.  Yes, the clothes prices are ridiculous and the average working person is no longer receiving 7 to 8% raises like years ago.  I'm actually glad that I am retired and don't really have a need for much but do buy a few things because I want to.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

You ladies have said it all so well.  Once they build up a (cosmetic) company and sell the quality is sure to go down.   Very true with Philosophy, Bare Minerals and the others mentioned.  IT will be next since it has sold even though I'm already not too fond of some of their items.       The clothing prices are way too high for the quality now.  Tees for $40., the LOGO line which seems to have very thin fabric.  The quality in jewelry is down too.   Sure miss the quality of Tova's products too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe QVC should change its name.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor

The one thing I've read many comments about here, and on the product page is Tova's signature sent.  I've never tried it, and was really interested, but some of these reviewers had used it for decades, and said the formualtion just changed.  No scent.

Wow too bad.

Esteemed Contributor

So true.

It's all about the profits - the huge corporations don't care about their customers, just making money.  Years ago I loved Mally, Laura Geller, and Tarte makeup.... those days are gone.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Too many products have changed

Let's not leave Ojon off the list. Origins [parent company Estée Lauder] purchased the company, changed some formulations, and then a few years later stopped the production of all products.

Ojon -------->  Gone but not forgotten.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

Popular products seem to always change (and not for the better) or be discontinued.  This is why I don't consider anything a "holy grail".  When I find a product I like, I soon start searching for its replacement. Don't always find one. 

Two "never founds":

1. Never found a replacement for the original Zia Papaya Enzyme Mask.

2. Can't remember the proper name of an Avon Vitamin C serum but it came in an amber/brown ridged bottle, was very liquidy and made my skin radiant.  Have never found its equal

Honored Contributor

Re: Too many products have changed

All true, however, I don't think you can blame QVC for companies selling out to large Capitalist Groups.  Those are individual company decisions that QVC would not have any say in.

I also do not blame the founders for grabbing the opportunity to make a huge sale on their company they worked so hard building.  They probably put tons of sweat equity into it and deserve it!  That's the way of business.  They don't owe me a thing.

I just don't buy the products anymore from anywhere.  Q, Ulta, Sephora or even their own websites.  Saddest to me was the loss of Philosophy.  What a waste of time bothering to spray their fragrances, since they are gone before you make it out the door in the morning!

I have not noticed a decrease in quality in Laura Geller's products though even though she sold many years ago. 

I have too much stockpile of IT to have purchased new since her selling.  Dr. Perricone doesn't own his company either.  Sold a long time ago.