Honored Contributor

This thread is an old one....op dated back in Feb.

Respected Contributor
@SilleeMee thanks for pointing that out. Revived threads can still be useful though.
Respected Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
@SilleeMee thanks for pointing that out. Revived threads can still be useful though.

I agree.  I, also, think some posters are just trying to be considerate, and not start a new thread on a subject that's been previously discussed.  Revived threads can sometimes be beneficial because a lot of good info can compiled in one thread.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@scraggy wrote:

I absolutely agree this horrible baby fine thinning hair has  made  me shrink from going out and basically ruining my life , have decided after yrs to simply give up don't color my hair anymore so balding gray hair is sooo not great , won't to to salons too embarrassed it's a night mare , I am 65 , i do use the special comb thing it might  help a little but only others in this boat know this devastation :-(

@scraggy  I don't have anything to add to this thread that might help you, but I just wanted to wish you well, and to encourage you not to give up.  Have you already seen a doctor to rule out any medical conditions?  You probably already have  but if not, please make an appointment if you can.

You mentioned you're too embarrassed to go to a salon, but I think most hair stylists would be sensitive to your situation, and I'd also like to think that any clients waiting for their appointments would be sensitive to your situation as well.   Please don't be embarrassed -- I know that's probably easier said than done, though.  You can even explain your situation over the phone to the person at the salon answering calls, and maybe they can arrange a special time for you to come in.  It's worth a shot.  I've noticed my own hair has thinned a little, but I've also been going through a very stressful year, and I'm thinking it may be related to stress.  I'm keeping a very watchful eye, though, and will probably see a doctor, if I notice it worsening.  

Please don't give up.  I think there are solutions out there that could help ---- or at the very least I think there are hair professionals out there that can guide you through this.  Heart  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor
On topic, my hairdresser has used Regenesis shampoo and conditioner on me the last two times I've been in. It's made by the same company that makes revitalash. It is supposed to thicken hair and encourage new growth. My hair has been thinning recently (yes I know why.) each time he used it on me, my hair has definitely looked and felt thicker, as well as shiny and healthy. I ordered it last night from Amazon. I don't like to use the same products everyday so I'm planning to rotate with Phyto shampoo and conditioner which I'm picking up at Ulta today.
Honored Contributor

My hair is fine and thinning and stick straight. I had chemo 4 years ago so lost all my hair ; it grew back in but now as I am taking meds for 5 years, they affect my hair too. Am trying to be kind to it and not use anything too harsh. I have 2 more years of meds; will be interesting if it grows in thicker.

Respected Contributor

Rachb, You  may have missed my post right above your last post, and it was "on topic."

@wagirl  Hugs to you.  I've had family members endure chemo, and I've seen how rough it can be.  All the best to you and anyone else who is currently going through or has gone through chemo.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Occasional Contributor

Is the liquid different from the caps ?? I am trying the caps now and so far I haven't seen a whole lot of difference..If the liquid is doing this then I must try it. Please let me know. Thanks

Sueokie

Honored Contributor

Re: thin fine hair in women

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

My hair is fine and thinning and stick straight. I had chemo 4 years ago so lost all my hair ; it grew back in but now as I am taking meds for 5 years, they affect my hair too. Am trying to be kind to it and not use anything too harsh. I have 2 more years of meds; will be interesting if it grows in thicker.

Shoekitty said

I have had breast cancer, radiation , partial mast, no oral treatment after.  I was urged, but declined) hormone treatment after.    Chemo can change the hair follicle. Radiation stuns them The follicle shape (round, oval or flat oval) decides whether the hair is straight, wavy, curly.  The fineness has to do with size of follicle, and the medula (inner layer of hair).  I am trying to remember all this from teaching Trichology...it has been a while, LOL!

Most Chemo treatment  is prolonged hair absence (it is not gradual), and the hair follicle can shrink, sadly.  With the 5 yr treatment, (I assume it is to block hormones) it can deprive your body of the hormones and nutrients necessary for normal hair growth.  But there IS hope!!  When your treatment is over you will notice new growth after about 4 months  Then as the hair grows about 1/2 inch a month, it will be a while.  I have seen this many times!  I have friends who went from blond to red hair, brunette to blond, from stick straight to curly and visa versa

I know so many women with breast cancer sadly, there is a lot to gather info from  Real results not stats from the internet. 

Those that had chemo and no Tamoxifen (or similar) had grow back different.  Then change again!  Most all for the better.  For those taking the drugs it was slower, and after treatment ended they did see results!  Many started hormone therapy, and couldn't continue for one reason or another saw hair growth, and better structure after they stopped. A couple women I know never had one side effect. But that is not the norm. As soon as chemo stopped, hair grew and for the most part for the better

I know you have to avoid certain foods and products, but Biotin would help IF you can take it.

Can't wait until you are done.  Long road, but you are healthy again.  The results are what counts in the end.

Good Luck and hugs

Honored Contributor

shoekitty---thanks so much for all the info you posted. Yes I had a mastectomy, chemo and rads and now on the meds to supress hormones. Am glad to hear that anything "normal" will hopefully come back after I'm done with the meds. And I did take biotin for almost a year with no results but as you said, these drugs do different things to different people. I went from med brown hair to salt and pepper but my hair grew back so fast. Started out curly but ended up stick straight. But it grew back and I'm doing ok so not going to complain----too much :-) And June of 2018 ( my end of meds)  will be here before you know it---this year has gone by faster than any year I remember. Thanks again