Occasional Contributor

WOW...you ladies are awesome!

Some things mentioned I have tried some I have not but will be putting those on my list to try.

I'm adopted so not sure of my family history.

Not thinking about wigs but the direction of going to a Dermoologist is what I will also do.

I have wondered about those hair transplants that many men get where they "relocate" hair from one spot on head to another.

The ideas of trying to figure out why is top on my list so that;s what I'm going to start with. 

I guess what sort of prompted me is my neice is getting married in April and those family pics will be around forever!  Smiley Surprised)

Thanks again for all the support and suggestions...

Honored Contributor

@lasallemom wrote:

WOW...you ladies are awesome!

Some things mentioned I have tried some I have not but will be putting those on my list to try.

I'm adopted so not sure of my family history.

Not thinking about wigs but the direction of going to a Dermoologist is what I will also do.

I have wondered about those hair transplants that many men get where they "relocate" hair from one spot on head to another.

The ideas of trying to figure out why is top on my list so that;s what I'm going to start with. 

I guess what sort of prompted me is my neice is getting married in April and those family pics will be around forever!  Smiley Surprised)

Thanks again for all the support and suggestions...

My BIL had the hair tranplants done. It did not work for him. He spent a lot of money & pain for nothing. If I were a male I would not worry about balding. I think they should just shave it off. It looks so much better. Women balding is a whole other situation none of us want to be in.

I'm hypothyroid & past menoupause so mine has been thinning. I don't like it. I take biotin & evening primrose oil. The right side of my hair is thinner then the left side. Weird. 

Trusted Contributor

An internal medicine doctor can help you and also a dermotologist.......they will do blood work and maybe you can just see you OBGYN doctor and he can write you some Spirolactone which will stop the shedding.  They can test for your TSH and thyroid and other things.  Rogaine is helpful and so is the medication I gave you. I was starting to shed and I have been taking for three months and it has stopped my shedding.  I take 25mg a day and you can take 50 mg a day but you will need blood work then.  I used this years ago for loss of hair and it worked and I also took proscar which is for men only but it did stop my hair loss.  I also used Rogain for women which now comes in foam.  I wish for you more hair growth and doing blood work will give the doctors a starting point.  Also, biotin helps some but did not help me but I sitll take it since 2000.........There is a wonderful book if you can get a used copy THE TRUTH ABOUT WOMEN's HAIR LOSS try and see if Amazon has it used...........also ibprophen can cause hair loss........so many things also remember that if you were really stressed you will notice the effects in your hair up to 6 months later.  I wish for you the best.  A great cut can also make your hair look like you have more but go to the best hair dresser even if they are the most expensive and then you can find somone good that can maintain the cut.  Keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

Re: thin fine hair in women

[ Edited ]

If it wasn't already recommended, seeing an endocrinologist  would be smart as well.

They deal with the thyroid, plus hormones of all  kinds, everyday.

They'll order extensive & thorough blood tests, which can prove very helpful. 8) 

Honored Contributor

You have fine/thin hair and you want to see a doctor about it? What are they going to do? Its in your genes. I have the finest and thinnest hair my entire life. I clearly got it from my parents (dad bald/mom thin hair). I've totally embraced it! I wear my hair is a very short pixie/spiky on top/colored and highlighted on top. I get compliments and when I mention how fine my hair is no one believes it. It'll only look fine and thin if you keep your length. Cut it into a short stylish bob and see it pop! Add color will strengthen and coat your hair strands making them seem thicker.

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Also, those antacids like Prilosec thin your hair. And nails. If you go off them, you have to taper off. Or it's just awful. 

Contributor

I absolutely agree this horrible baby fine thinning hair has  made  me shrink from going out and basically ruining my life , have decided after yrs to simply give up don't color my hair anymore so balding gray hair is sooo not great , won't to to salons too embarrassed it's a night mare , I am 65 , i do use the special comb thing it might  help a little but only others in this boat know this devastation :-(

Honored Contributor

I had to go through this whole thread, and although I can't believe I hadn't responded sooner, I will tell you what has happened to my hair now.

Although you're saying what you don't want to try, OP, I think you need to know that many of us who have gone through a whole LOT of desperation HAVE met with some measure of success by trial and error.

I have a series of pictures that have seen me through bald spots, stringy fuzz, bizarre colors, etc.

As a kid, right up through my teens, I had thick, shiny, healthy hair, and I could do anything with it.

When I was 19 I bleached my hair, ALL SUMMER LONG, with Sun-In, and by September, about 1/4 of the hair on my head was gone. The remaining hair became thin, sparse, and limp. 

At that age, a good cut would cover a lot of the missing places.

Fast forward about twenty years to heredity, infertility, child bearing, thyroid disease (hyper-AND hypo-), and my hair issues got worse and worse and worse, going from poor condition to rampant bald patches, especially in the front of my head.

A year and half ago, I started to wear wigs most of the time. They were warm (I'm always cold), flattering, amd easy to manage. Still with my really excellent stylist, I began to have my hair cut super SUPER SHORT, to prevent the dread "tufts" from emerging feom under my wigs.

My hair remained terrible......and then there came a day on which, for some reason I forget, maybe a doctor's appointment, I couldn't wear a wig.

For another reason I can't remember, I grabbed a bottle of generic Argon Oil, and rubbed  7 drops into my hair. AND THERE IT WAS- I looked into my mirror and saw a mass of silvery, shiny ringlets covering my piggy pink scalp!!

The first ime IN YEARS that I could cover my scalp, be proud of my hair, and not be embarrassed about my sorry follicular past.

I wish I really knew WHY this has happened by I don't. I'm just grateful and amazed that I no longer have to look for a grocery bag to put over my head when I go out wigless.

I SHOULD MENTION, that I have departed from an almost totally refined carb diet to a diet heavy in veggies and lean protein, and I am now stable on a small thyroid supplement, but those are the only changes I've made to my physical health. Maybe, after + years of this lifestyle, it is catchig up with my hair.

Whatever the reason, tral and error has brought me to at last an IMPROVED situation with my hair, so I admonish you to keep searching, and not to give up.

Honored Contributor

@violann and @scraggy,

Both of your stories are heartbreaking. I know your pain. I went through a period of baldness in my life. It's devastating. 

@scraggy, I hope you find a way to maybe get your hair back. I use that laser comb, too, along with the iGrow and both have helped me tremendously. I wish you all the luck.Heart

@violann, it thrills me to read about your regrowth! I'm so happy for you. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: thin fine hair in women

[ Edited ]

@lasallemom wrote:

Hi ladies....I have a favor to ask.  I have fine, thin hair and while its been like this for many years...either its getting worse or I am just sick of it...maybe both.  I have never been to a doctor or anyone else abut this.  I'm thinking about maybe seeing someone but not really sure where to start. I'm not interested in trying differenct tonics, hair products..I'm past that...

Help from anyone else who has gone or going through this...

Thanks,

Mary

@lasallemom

Why haven't you checked with your doctor on this?    If you go to a Dermatologist, they will send you back to your PCP  for basic blood work to rule out a number of things.     Please get going!