Honored Contributor

Re: there's nothing like seeing a photo of yourself for a reality check

I got a virus on my computer that took a picture of me and posted it (picture through the Skype feature on the laptop).

At first I didn't want to believe it was ME...and to make it worse - I had to bring the laptop to the IT guy to remove the virus.

It was HIDEOUS....Mr. IT did say I don't look like the snapshot - very much!

Valued Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Mistic said:
On 1/9/2015 BlueCollarBabe said:

It's really interesting to read about the phenomenon of seeing ourselves in photos. So often we don't look the way we think we do and we assume the photo is the truth because "a picture doesn't lie" as the saying goes. If it's any comfort, the "truth" lies somewhere in between the photo image and our own mental image. A camera stops you for a millisecond in time whereas the way others see us is in motion. Another person sees you from different angles as they and you move about. Even if you stand still there is some movement in our bodies. People don't stand frozen speaking to each other. So although the camera is not actually "lying" it is showing you just one very small moment in time that the human eye and mind would interpret differently.

BlueCollarBabe ~ Thank you for making me feel better! Smile

I agree; I feel better too.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} However, I still no longer consider a camera my friend!

Valued Contributor

Have you ever seen yourself on video tape? I haven't for a long time, but man, it's frightening. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do for your neck other than lasers or surgery.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

At my age, turkey neck seems to go with the territory. Not lovin the look but, at 66 I try to look on the bright side, I'm still kickin.

Honored Contributor

gobble gobble

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 glmama said:

Have you ever seen yourself on video tape? I haven't for a long time, but man, it's frightening. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I have to say that when I see myself on video I always think that I look much better than photos and more like "myself". And, occasionally, I see a photo where I look terrific. The camera must have caught that perfect moment in time. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

Take a selfie, so you can catch yourself in a flattering pose. It will make you feel so much better.
Super Contributor

For a really good result....save up for a neck lift. That is really the only way to fix it.
Super Contributor

This is why some older people always wear high neck tops or those new stylish neck scarves. I am in the market for these now.