Honored Contributor

Re: shellac manicures- your thoughts please

They're no better for your nails than traditional acrylic. I had them for awhile and when I stopped, my nails were thin and brittle and well.. never again. Same thing had happened when I had acrylic, btw.

Super Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

They're no better for your nails than traditional acrylic. I had them for awhile and when I stopped, my nails were thin and brittle and well.. never again. Same thing had happened when I had acrylic, btw.

I had acrylics for a few years and they ruined my nails. Paper thin and they actually hurt. I've never had that experience with shellac manicures. Of course.....I don't have them on my nails constanlty......just a few times a year. But just one time with acrylics will kill your nails. 

Valued Contributor

Acrylic and shellac are not the same thing. We call shellac- gel polish where I come from. I have been doing gel polish for 2 years off and on. Since I got a raise at work 3 months ago, I have been keeping gel polish on all the time. I love having shiny polish on my nails that is chip free. I can do the dishes and clean house and not worry about a thing. It lasts 2-3 weeks and even more if I get french done because it grows out looking more natural. 

Over a week ago, I did have one fall off and I showed my friend how healthy and strong my nail still was. She said before she loves my nails but wants her nails to breath. I dont understand the notion of wanting your nails to breath when they are ugly or plain anyway. Plus they grown out. Also, nail laquer- even the good brands, can yellow your nails, which has never been an issue with gel. 

Valued Contributor

Yes I do. I may have a few days with no shellac in between manis but mostly I keep shellac on, it keeps my nails strong and long. Plus it looks great with your jewelry lol.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Esteemed Contributor

It is really tough on your nails as others have said. I am back to regualr manicures...

Honored Contributor

I've just started getting gel/shellac manicures.  The manicurist I go to will only do them three times in a row (lasting 2-3 weeks each time), then just a plain manicure to let your nails breathe for about three weeks.  My regular manicure was yesterday and my nails don't look anything like they did when I got the dreaded acrylics!  Manicurist did say to use plenty of hand lotion.  So far, so good.  I do love the look of a gel/shellac manicure.

Respected Contributor

since they came out with the shellac, that is all i wear.  i go to a manicurist and my manicures last close to 3 weeks.  i think this is great!

as far as removal, i've not had any problem at all and i've been wearing it for about 3 years now.  my nails are as strong as ever.

Honored Contributor

@sauce62 wrote:

I am considering getting a shellac manicure. I love the look of polished nails, but am finding the smell of polish gives me a bad headache. Please share with me what your experience has been. TIA!!

If the smell of nail polish gives you a headache, you might not be able to tolerate the smell of a nail salon because of the acrylics they do in most places.

You can do a Shellac manicure at home, but it's expensive to get started and takes a lot more practice than regular polish. I can do it at home, but I can't get mine to last as long as they do when done in a salon.

I know some people who do Shellac or gel polish on a regular basis and are very happy with it. I think it's great for special occasions and otherwise prefer regular polish for ease of removal. I have some of the soak of foils at home and use them for gel and glitter polish, but it's so much easier and faster to remove regular polish.

Trusted Contributor

@Debzzz wrote:

I am a licensed nail tech for many years. I still do my own nails and for friends in my home salon. I favor shellac manicures, regular polish is chipped within days. I get 2 weeks chip free and no nail damage with shellac.

You should never allow any nail tech to use a drill or nail file on your nails to remove shellac, it's not necessary! 5 minutes with an acetone soaked foil pad directly on nail and remove with an orange wood stick only! If there are small bits left they should remove easily with an acetone soaked pad.

The first and major shellac company recently came out with a 5 minute removal top coat which makes the process even quicker. Only go to salons that use name brand, top of the line products and no drills! I can't tell you the number of ladies who have come to me through the years with nails damaged by drills, it's heartbreaking.. Ask if the tech is certified in shellac, if they were they would know how to give a shellac service with no damage! My nails are really much longer and healthier with shellac.

It's the improper removal technique that is causing the damage not shellac.

@Debzzz ty so much...I'm rather new to all of this over the past few years. You are so very helpful! very important info for me Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

I have had both acrylic and gel and I found that the gel manicures were just as damaging as acrylics were if it's something you do on a regular basis every few weeks.

I have an acrylic overlay over the top of my natural nails and then I get gel polish on top of that.  My natural nails are horrible and always have been. They are paper thin and tear all the way down to the point they are painful.  Nothing I have tried on my nails or taken has helped with that. 

Natural nail polish peels off my nails one one big sheet after 2 days. The same thing happens with any of the products I put on my nails to try and strengthen them.