Respected Contributor

Re: ??s On Hair Coloring

[ Edited ]

@Harpa   color will not lift color. brass means the cuticle has not been lifted enough to get to the white stage (level 10)   the darker the hair (level 2-5)  the more lift needed.

you have the right idea but the technique may give a blotchy result. my hair is a natural level 6.  i've done paint-on highlights but i used a brush and  not a gloved  hand. i used powdered bleach and developer.   you really can't get highlights - if that's what you want - using boxed color.  i used 30v developer mixed w powdered bleach.  in addition, in a separate bowl - i mixed 20v with bleach so the transition between levels would not be harsh. i started high on the hair shaft with 20v. painting the mixture on, and in 2nd bowl at the mid-shaft to ends i used 30v. ( you mix the powder and developer to make a runny toothpaste texture in each bowl)  the you time and be careful to rinse out - if you have a lot of hair you may have to do two sessions. 

if you are a level "5" than you need 3-4 levels of lift .  20v developer on its own will not lift 4 levels.

i did a strand test first to see how long 30v + bleach would take to lift my level 6  hair to a level 10.  i did several timings.     using this guide helped when i actually colored my hair.

i  then toned using a demi-perm color 10v. toning can cut any brass...

if this sounds complicated - it is!! - and i'm not a pro. 

my .02 would be be see  a professional colorist.

Valued Contributor

When I used to highlight my hair, I would use an old (clean) mascara brush. It will do thin strands at a time and not get too chunky.

Honored Contributor

Eee gad! Save yourself the headache and pay a professinal to color/highlight your hair!! I just can't imagine myself being el cheepo on my appearance. Nope, not gonna happen. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

My friend tried to do red highlights around her face and I don' know what she did but the hair all broke off.....