Frequent Contributor

Re: retinol-retinoid type product names you use that actually work for you

@Harpa Hi!! Wow!! All those prices have changed, I'm sure. The advice hasn't changed though! lol 

Frequent Contributor

@NoName, I wouldn't use retinoids on the eye lids. And I would be extra cautious about using them under the the eye area. Some of the ones mentioned here are quite strong. Place it around the orbital bone and the product will seep onto the eye area naturally benefitting it much better than placing it directly on the lid or below the lid. If you want to use it below the eye area, I would use the lowest strength retinol possible. 

Using a moisturizer is going to depend on how your skin handles the retinoids, and if you have dry skin. 

Absolutely use sunblock during the day whether you use a retinoid or not. It's the best anti-aging protection. A good OTC moisturizer is CeraVe. It is mild, no fragrance, and uses ceramides which replensh the natural lipids in the skin that we lose from harsh environmental factors and dryness which is perfect to use with retinoids. 

Super Contributor

I'm so glad I picked today to check in after all these years.  I love to see the names I remember - Shelbelle, Love2Laugh, Harpa, tototwo, JeanLouiseFinch, Noname - 

so many times you've helped me with skin care advice!  I still have the Love2Laugh retinol comparison list saved!  Do you all remember the old days when the Beauty Forum posts and answers would move so fast and there were so many great, classic posts.  Not to mention the classic melt-downs (NR).

I'm still buying .05 tretinoin from ADC, but have also used PTR and Paula.  

If the OP is just starting out with retinols/retinoids, I would just say start slow and low % until you know what your skin reaction will be.

Super Contributor

Just an observation - it's weird that our original registration dates don't show, and the post numbers are so low!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the Consult Beaute Regenerol line.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Frequent Contributor

@Jayro Hi Jayro! I'm so glad my chart helped you. I do remember the days when posts would go by so quickly you couldn't keep up with all of them, not to mention the melt-downs! lol The boards are very different now. And there are people monitoring them all the time. Do you remember way back during the holidays when no one would monitor the boards at all? Whew! There was some interesting stuff that would show up on the boards that would make your eyelashes curl! lol

Super Contributor

Hi L2L!

Before I educated myself about retin products here and in Dr. Baumann's book, I once went to the drug store, bought a bunch of stuff and used it all at once, and then came running here for help with a peeling red face.

Oh yes, the Christmas threads!   You never knew what might show up!  Starting at 3 pm on Christmas Eve, the fun would begin.  Back then, QVC would create special shows where the hosts would perform or do family videos in their homes with family.

Did QVC have many beauty and skin care shows before Saturday Night Beauty with Patti Reilly?  I think that is when I started watching and reading the forums for skin care info.

The threads move so quickly you couldn't read everything.  The minute you would post, you'd have so many replies you couldn't read and reply to everyone that pitched in to help.

Esteemed Contributor

ROC Retinol Deep Wrinkle Night Cream in the gold tube.

Swear by this stuff. For $20 at Target, WM, most drug stores. Hunt for a $2 coupon they offer from time to time.

Esteemed Contributor

I will add that you do not have to spend big bucks for an excellent Retinol cream.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor

@Jayro wrote:

Hi L2L!

Before I educated myself about retin products here and in Dr. Baumann's book, I once went to the drug store, bought a bunch of stuff and used it all at once, and then came running here for help with a peeling red face.

Oh yes, the Christmas threads!   You never knew what might show up!  Starting at 3 pm on Christmas Eve, the fun would begin.  Back then, QVC would create special shows where the hosts would perform or do family videos in their homes with family.

Did QVC have many beauty and skin care shows before Saturday Night Beauty with Patti Reilly?  I think that is when I started watching and reading the forums for skin care info.

The threads move so quickly you couldn't read everything.  The minute you would post, you'd have so many replies you couldn't read and reply to everyone that pitched in to help.

Jayro, I did the same thing. I bought all this stuff before I started learning about skin care, and ended up with this major burn on the side of neck of all places. Live and learn!! I tell my kids experience is sometimes the best teacher. 

There were no beauty and skin care shows back then like what they have now. Vendors would just have a show and they would sell their products like normal. The big sell for their products, per se, was the Beauty Bash they would have, I believe, right at QVC property or near a local hotel. Not sure where it was located because I never went, but boy was it huge on the boards here.

Anyone could come to it, and vendors would show up, have beauty stands kind of like for conventions only on a smaller scale. It was a BIG deal on the beauty boards. They'd put tickets on sale and they would sell out immediately. People would bring home so much free stuff the vendors would be giving away and you could meet the actual vendors. QVC stopped doing this a while back, but that was what I think was in place of beauty shows. Someone can correct me, but that may have been why they started the beauty shows. The Bash got a little out of hand if I'm not mistaken, so QVC ended it and started the beauty shows.

About the fast replies, people would get testy if you asked a question twice because you missed the answer the first time or your question got missed because it was moving so fast. 

It's crazy how things have changed!! I think social media has had a huge influence on it.