Super Contributor

retinol-retinoid type product names you use that actually work for you

[ Edited ]

Please give product names.  I would really like to try a good quality one (but not the very expensive ones). An tell us how you use it and when. Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

Re: retinol-retinoid type product names you use that actually work for you

I use a Nutrogena retional every other night

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum.  It's used by the skin as is, without the metobolic conversion steps required by typical retinols, which BTW also weakens the retinol.

Super Contributor

You might want to try Differens. It is an OTC acne cream that is retinol. 

Honored Contributor

Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Serum. My husband and I both use it and love it!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GusMo wrote:

You might want to try Differens. It is an OTC acne cream that is retinol. 

Differin has only been proven to work on acne and has never been approved as an anti-aging product. Differin contains a retinoid that cannot reach certain retinoid receptors in the skin to give any skin-smoothing ability. It only works on receptors closer to the skin's surface and that's what it was designed to do...acne medication.

eta - There has been only one study done using Adapalene (Differin) as an anti-aging product. The results were in favor of it's anti-aging effects. However, more studies need to be done to confirm the findings. 

Skip to Adapalene in this publication for more info:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699641/

Frequent Contributor

I love the PTR Retinol too. I've used it for years. It really helped the crepiness under my eyes a lot. It's pretty much gone now. I don't have to use as much concealer. Actually, sometimes I skip using it now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Consult Beaute Regenerol from Evine, very potent!!

Frequent Contributor

If you've never used a OTC retinol or prescription strength retinoid, I HIGHLY suggest you start out with a lower dose retinol and work your way up. Retinols and Retinoids can be very aggresive on the skin.

Alpha products have a really nice .15% retinol product I have used, and still use on my neck. 

You could also try Paula's Choice .1% retinol product called Resist Intense Wrinkle Repair Serum. Both of these are really nice products as I have used both. 

Honored Contributor

When choosing a good retinol there are four basic things to look for in a product:

1 - Make sure it is a stable form of retinol. Look for words on the label like encapsulated or stabilized...something along those lines.

2- Look for packaging that is opaque, which means the light-sensitive retinol is protected from light. Light destroys the efficacy of retinol.

3- Choose a retinol that comes in an airless container. Air will also make retinol less potent over time. Airless containers, although they add to the cost of most products, will prolong the potency of retinols and you will get your money's worth in the long run.

4- Buy a brand that is trusted and has a good reputation.