Honored Contributor

Re: remember to wash your makeup brushes

@Shanus wrote:

@Lucky Charm    For my lip balms and lipsticks, I use floss to slice off 1/8" or as little as possible every few months or after I've had a cold, etc. You can also wipe off the top w/ alcohol. That's the preferred method for cleaning the doe foot on gloss, too. I stopped using gloss/balm in a pot. No more finger dipping. Really miss my Rosebud Salve. 

I can't even imaging working a piece of dental floss on something so fragile/supple as a lip stick mine is always angled at the top, too. 

@Shanus 

How do you hold the tube and the floss together at the same time?  

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Lucky Charm    For my lip balms and lipsticks, I use floss to slice off 1/8" or as little as possible every few months or after I've had a cold, etc. You can also wipe off the top w/ alcohol. That's the preferred method for cleaning the doe foot on gloss, too. I stopped using gloss/balm in a pot. No more finger dipping. Really miss my Rosebud Salve. 

I can't even imaging working a piece of dental floss on something so fragile/supple as a lip stick mine is always angled at the top, too. 

@Shanus 

@Lucky Charm   Good question. I have a big lump of something similar to "Silly Putty" used to hold a ring shaft steady to set stones. I place the bottom of lipstick tube in there. If you purchase a pkg. of kid's modeling clay at Dollar Store, keep a small piece in plastic bag so it doesn't dry out, it'll work the same way. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

@Lucky Charm   Good question. I have a big lump of something similar to "Silly Putty" used to hold a ring shaft steady to set stones. I place the bottom of lipstick tube in there. If you purchase a pkg. of kid's modeling clay at Dollar Store, keep a small piece in plastic bag so it doesn't dry out, it'll work the same way. 

@Shanus Wow, seems my lipstick would break off.  Do you still have to hold the stick itself?

Maybe a paring knife would be better for you to use.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm   you can lay the lipstick on its side and use a knife certainly. I just found it cut off more than necessary. The point is to just take off the minuscule amount that touches your mouth.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm  - I think using alcohol on a cotton swab would be much easier as @Shanus also suggested.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I still don't understand the original post.

@LoriLori 

Are you talking about putting makeup on top of makeup,

like mid-day?

First, bless you for the Juliette Kayem (sp?) post.

And second, I'm not sure what you don't understand.  I use a different brush for everything and wash them every time but that's me.  I'm talking about basic brush hygiene, which you're already doing.  I know not everyone washes their brushes regularly and since now it's more important than ever I guess I'm just saying this isn't the time to let it slide.

Why now?  If cleaning your brushes is part of your regular routine, good for you!

But odds are, if you have contacted a virus, you will have touched your face a thousand times before you ever get near your makeup brushes!

If you don't share brushes, no one can transmit anything to you.

If you sadly came in contact, I highly doubt cleaning your own personal use makeup brushes is going to change a thing.

Let's not hype it up.  If you have been out....wash your hands really well and disinfect everything!  Worry about your brushes later.

Honored Contributor

Simple thing to follow: used daily, wash brushes weekly. You can use baby shampoo. Squeeze out excess water with a towel & hand upside down to air dry. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Since I don't wash my face with germ-killer I clean my brushes every time I use them. 

@LoriLori 

What do you do to keep your lipstick/lip balm germ free?

I stopped wearing Fresh and lipstick from the time this began. I.got some cheap small Nivea flavored balms and use them once a day some days, then throw them out. I stay very well hydrated so my lips aren't dry.  Great tips though!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wash my brushes regularly and I'm not doing anything differently today than any other day in the past. It's just common sense to keep beauty and grooming tools clean...and don't share them with anyone else.

Right, it's very basic hygiene and as I've seen here not everyone practices it so not sorry I posted this even with the pushback Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Correction: *** see below ***@Shanus wrote:

There are many brush cleaning sprays that clean your brush on the spot until your weekly wash schedule. I use IT's BRUSH LOVE & a paper towel. After a few days, I wash my brushes that are used for liquid/cream products at night when I wash my face. I hang them on the end of the counter and they're dry and ready by the next morning.

For those who find brush washing a chore, use your God given makeup applicators.....fingers. 

***I wash the brushes used w/ cream products like foundation and concealer EVERY NIGHT when I wash my face. Other brushes get sprayed until their weekly bath.