Valued Contributor

Re: remember to wash your makeup brushes

Shhh! Don't tell anyone but I haven't washed my brushes in 3 months, which is about the average for me. I am still breathing and never had a break out. I am not taking the Coronavirus lightly. However, I am not behaving like this is Dooms Day. For the record, my kid had the Swine Flu, remember that one? People were dying, especially children and teens. I took proper precautions which included wiping hard surfaces down with Lysol wipes and washing hands. Other than that, a lot of prayers. So, I've dealt with a very serious illness and we all survived. 

Honored Contributor

@Starliteshine wrote:

Shhh! Don't tell anyone but I haven't washed my brushes in 3 months, which is about the average for me. I am still breathing and never had a break out. I am not taking the Coronavirus lightly. However, I am not behaving like this is Dooms Day. For the record, my kid had the Swine Flu, remember that one? People were dying, especially children and teens. I took proper precautions which included wiping hard surfaces down with Lysol wipes and washing hands. Other than that, a lot of prayers. So, I've dealt with a very serious illness and we all survived. 

@Starliteshine   I'm all for being brave in the face of danger, but please wash your brushes. Why tempt fate?

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Starliteshine wrote:

@Starliteshine   I'm all for being brave in the face of danger, but please wash your brushes. Why tempt fate?

@Shanus You're right, I should but I have a lot of brushes and it's a big time investment. I probably should break them into two or three different groups and rotate a cleaning schedule. 

Respected Contributor

I have at least 2 of every brush for specific area application for my face. So I wash my brushes weekly/biweekly and  just rotate each container so to allow the washed brushes to dry and such. I wash my eye brushes weekly also, but they don’t take long at all to dry. I do have a good collection of eye and face brushes. Now I do use a beauty sponge daily and wash it at least twice a week. 

I use Zote soap to clean my brushes and sponges. It gets the stains off, it smells good and it’s around $1 at Walmart. Love it and wouldn’t want to use anything else. 

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I still don't understand the original post.

@LoriLori 

Are you talking about putting makeup on top of makeup,

like mid-day?

First, bless you for the Juliette Kayem (sp?) post.

And second, I'm not sure what you don't understand.  I use a different brush for everything and wash them every time but that's me.  I'm talking about basic brush hygiene, which you're already doing.  I know not everyone washes their brushes regularly and since now it's more important than ever I guess I'm just saying this isn't the time to let it slide.

Your welcome with the JK post.

My thought was...my skin is freshly cleaned when I apply makeup.

I wash because of color transfer...not because of germ fighting or 

antibacterial anything.  I'm sure those who are doing that in the 

first place would not begin this practice just because of the COVID-19

outbreak. 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

There are many brush cleaning sprays that clean your brush on the spot until your weekly wash schedule. I use IT's BRUSH LOVE & a paper towel. After a few days, I wash my brushes that are used for liquid/cream products at night when I wash my face. I hang them on the end of the counter and they're dry and ready by the next morning.

For those who find brush washing a chore, use your God given makeup applicators.....fingers. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Fingers work great on make-up from tubes. But, you should never dip your fingers into a pot, jar or pallet.  Use a clean q-tip each time you touch the product.

That feeds bacteria on and into the whole product and then you then apply that bacteria onto your face. It also shortens the life of your product.  

That's the first thing you learn in cosmetology school.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dominique Sachse just posted a video on cleaning makeup brushes. Brushes need cleaning regardless of this virus, plenty of other nasty stuff to wash off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTSy2Bo27T4

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Shanus   Fingers work great on make-up from tubes. But, you should never dip your fingers into a pot, jar or pallet.  Use a clean q-tip each time you touch the product.

That feeds bacteria on and into the whole product and then you then apply that bacteria onto your face. It also shortens the life of your product.  

That's the first thing you learn in cosmetology school.

@Carmie   I always use my pinky, use a small alcohol wipe on it, dip once and take out everything i need and Purell or wash my pinky very well  Then I close the jar and wipe the top.  That works.  Never had a problem, clean Q-tip, clean pinky, not much difference.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

That's the first thing you learn in cosmetology school

@Carmie   Hi. That's a given...putting your fingers in jars is always a NO. I've discussed that here. I've purchased inexpensive wooden coffee stir sticks to get product out of jars. Transferring creams to smaller sized pots also helps to not contaminate jar by opening it often. I also try not to purchase supersizes even if bargain prices. Considering the number of times the jars are opened, the bacteria level would be high and I'd rather pay more for two regular sizes. Thanks for repeating my advice.