Honored Contributor

Re: recommendations for skin care line

I tried Paula's Choice a while ago. Verdict: underwhelmed. Really basic. It may have gotten a lot better since then. This was at least five years ago.

I've tried lots of the pricey formulas, like many of us have. The latest full line I used and liked was called SkinActives. They have a great website that educates you on all the different ingredients and you can buy the actives individually and add them to their base products.

But having discovered Skinn, thanks to this forum, I'd really recommend that line over anything else. He's got a product for everything! If you check out the SkinActives website you'll see that the ingredients he uses are generally well represented there.

I'd recommend starting with the Skinn cleansers and the stem regen and collagenesis products. That's what I did and I'm happy so far.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I always check out ingredients for toxicity on http://safecosmetics.org/. if you are concerned about ingredients.

I tried BE years ago and it drained any moisture out of my skin. Hydrate, it did not. I probably wasn't using it properly. But the reason I stopped using it was my face itched when I put it on.

If you want to try a new line, the recommendation of Paula's Choice is a good one. It is very moderatly priced, the ingredients seem effective and not over done. They do have excellent customer service. I have heard that from people who didn't wind up liking the product. I think if you call they will work with you.

I have heard for hydrating Sonja Dakkar has an excellent product. I have heard good things about Isomers as well, and many of the other lines as well. It is so hard, because we all have aging issues (or not), dryness, oiliness (or not) or we might have allergies or sensitivity issues.

Good Luck!

I use Perricone, but that is not for everyone. I have used his products for years, but it is difficult to start. There are a lot of products. Although, if you are familiar with the line a few products will do you from beginning to end, no matter what they say, LOL!

Smoochy, I recieved some samples from Nordie's at Christmas. I tried this small tube of REN hydrating cream. I am really liking it. I have sensitive skin, and pores that clog. So far it helps. I have been such using it in the morning a bit.

Respected Contributor

On 2/23/2014 shoekitty said:

I always check out ingredients for toxicity on http://safecosmetics.org/. if you are concerned about ingredients.

I tried BE years ago and it drained any moisture out of my skin. Hydrate, it did not. I probably wasn't using it properly. But the reason I stopped using it was my face itched when I put it on.

If you want to try a new line, the recommendation of Paula's Choice is a good one. It is very moderatly priced, the ingredients seem effective and not over done. They do have excellent customer service. I have heard that from people who didn't wind up liking the product. I think if you call they will work with you.

I have heard for hydrating Sonja Dakkar has an excellent product. I have heard good things about Isomers as well, and many of the other lines as well. It is so hard, because we all have aging issues (or not), dryness, oiliness (or not) or we might have allergies or sensitivity issues.

Good Luck!

I use Perricone, but that is not for everyone. I have used his products for years, but it is difficult to start. There are a lot of products. Although, if you are familiar with the line a few products will do you from beginning to end, no matter what they say, LOL!

Smoochy, I recieved some samples from Nordie's at Christmas. I tried this small tube of REN hydrating cream. I am really liking it. I have sensitive skin, and pores that clog. So far it helps. I have been such using it in the morning a bit.

Shoekitty, good advice. I always think it is very important to understand and research ingredients. Sounds as if OP needs a good place to begin and the customer service at Paula's Choice is a great place. I know you use and have great success with Perricone products. And, as you mentioned it can be a tricky line to navigate through. I'd recommend to OP not to start with Perricone or any of the more pricey lines full of many products/ingredients. I speak through personal experience. One can become excited about many promises and new products. I wasted a good bit of money on products and lines that were not beneficial to my skin. Through trial, error, and lots of research I now know which ingredients I am seeking for my skin. That is, until a new one comes up, or new to me, that I need to research all over again. For example, I was looking for a lightening ingredient other than hydroquinone and decided upon kojic acid combined with arbutin. Now I've learned of a dandelion extract hat is supposed to be even better and will have to dig up some more info about it. My point is, there is so much available and so much to learn about. Until you're comfortable and willing to do that I think it's best to start out simply and with a very reputable company with great c/s.

Sorry, I did not mean to get that long winded. OP, keep it simple. A good cleanser ( IMO, Purity strips and dries), something to exfoliate, some vit C, retin a or retinol, SPF, and a good moisturizer to start. No need to spend $$$ initially for these. Paula 's Choice is a great place to start and you can branch out from there.

Super Contributor

I use Alpha Hydrox Souffle and Skinn skincare. I love Skinn it has tranformed my skin. To bad you didn't ask this question a couple of days ago. He has been on ShopHQ for the last 3 days. He also has a website.

Honored Contributor

Cera Vie from the drugstore and Reviva Labs from the Vitamin Shoppe aren't bad either. I've used Alpha Hydrox and liked it as well. You can also find some nice lines at Whole Foods. And I loved Creme De La Mer ages ago, though the cream was very rich.

Avoid Strivectin and Prevage unless you have really really insensitive skin. Most primarily color makeup lines have only so so treatment cosmetics.

As much as I'm all rah rah for Skinn at the moment, I should probably wait a few months before coming to a final conclusion about how much I like it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

smoochy - I prefer to cherry pick my skincare, but if I was forced to only go with one line, I'd choose Mad Hippie. I use several of their products already and really like them. I'm glad I don't have to choose a single line though because I like the system I have quite a bit.

Respected Contributor

thanks everyone for your insights and suggestions.

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

Once in a while I get a tiny hard white bump here and there (tiny as in pencil point).

Smoochy, those tiny hard white bumps are called milia. It's interesting to do research and read up on the topic because our skincare routine and/or products often contribute to their occurrence.

Basically, exfoliation of the epidermis helps because the milia are formed by trapped dead skin cells. Also, heavy moisturizers or other comedogenic products will contribute to the problem, especially if you are genetically prone. A dermatologist can extract them if you wish. My insurance even covered it.

Regular Contributor

Hi Smoochy, I have recently been using Murad Intensive Age Diffusing serum at night and I LOVE it! The very first tme I used it, I saw results immediately! My face tightened and my fine lines disappeared. My complexion is brighter and I swear it is lightening the dark areas I have on my left cheek and above my lip. I use it around my eyes too and they look so tight and so much younger. The scent is soft and lovely too. It has that resurrection plant in it and I had researched a lot about that and was anxious to try it. In the am, after I clarisonic I apply the Skin adn Co Truffle Therapy Boosting Anti Aging serum. I have fallen in love with that too! My face feels like silk and my make up goes on so much nicer. It too tightens your skin immediately. It has made the fine lines around my eyes all but disappear! My complexion is brighter and more smooth. It too has a soft, lovely scent. I have been using both of these products every day for about 2-3 weeks now. I can see a HUGE difference in my skin and others have complimented me. They're both on QVC and a bit pricey, but you get a good sized bottle with both and a little goes a long way. One thing I like about both of them is that they absorb immediately in to my skin. I have oily skin and was concerned that it may cause me to get more oily as the day goes on, but it doesn't. I am SO glad that I decided to buy these products and I will definitely be repurchasing them! Hope this helped you somewhat! Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

I would try NCN copper peptide, matrixl and volulift! I used Acure that KatCat talked about and it worked for awhile and for some reason wrinkles became more pronounced and I had some breakouts which I never get. I started reading some of the posts here about NCN products and have never had such great results with any skincare line! After about a month my lines have really softened, my skin has firmed up and I am 10 years older than you. I have only been using the copper peptide for a week and it is a miracle worker! Wish I had found NCN a few years ago! It maybe more expensive but it works and the products last because you need very little to do the job. Good luck in your search!