Respected Contributor

@ctinaw wrote:

I love the look of a nude lip contrasted with exciting eye makeup. Though the nude lip seems to be going kind of out. I'm seeing more sheer glossy lips than anything OR bright bold lips these days. Not so much nude. THOUGH Jennifer Lopez was on American Idol the other night during auditions and she had a gorgeous nude lip with dramatic eye makeup look. See below. How can you not like that? I was thinking to myself how great the nude lip looked on her lol. 

jennifer-lopez-stuns-in-tight-dress-at-american-idol-auditions.jpg

I find this completely unattractive.  Face is pretty much all one blah color.

She's a pretty woman, but needs COLOR on her lips.  It would make her face light  up!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Dee in OK wrote:

doglover3, I think you're right about some confusing nude with soft color or sheer lipcolor. My favorites some might consider nude, but to me, they're more soft color. Chanel in Boy, Jane Iredale in Iced Mocha, Laura Geller in Berry Banana (which doesn't look berry at all) and if I want just a bit more color, I reach for Chanel in Legende which is a neutral pinky rose, the same color as my natural cheek color.

Also, recently, I splurged and bought a tube of YSL Volupte Sheer Candy in Pomegranate. In the tube, it looks like a scary, shocking pink, but on the lips, it's a very sheer wash of color in a moisturizing balm base. It's a great way to add a sheer wash of color without being too much. I may try this same formula in a different color since I like this one so well.

That's it exactly, not what most call nude but a nice sheer soft color. What I call nude is the picture they are showing of JLo which is a sort of nude tan which isn't me at all.

I just ordered Two Faced in Taffy from HSN after reading reviews. On line the color looked too much for me but reviewers said it is a very soft sheer natural looking pink, sure hope so.

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

There are so many different color of nude in any one brand of lip products.  Some lean brown while others lean mauve, pink, or peach.  I look ridiculous with too much color on my lips. (which are thin) When I'm looking for a new lipstick I usually go for a nude/neutral.

A strong lip color makes me look like a child dressing up for Halloween or dance recital.

I too have thin lips, always did, so bold colors look ridiculous on me, like playing dress up as you say when we were little kids. I like a soft pink or soft pink with a soft light rosy cast but nothing red or brownish.

Honored Contributor
I totally agree regarding the color but I happen to love the mattes. I am especially in love with the new liquid lipstick you just need to be careful because many are drying
Honored Contributor
I do have thin lips but I've discovered the paler colors make my lips look fuller. I have nothing against red but a true dark red makes my lips look barely there! I like oranges and pale pinks. I also have a purple that looks spectacular on me
Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
I totally agree regarding the color but I happen to love the mattes. I am especially in love with the new liquid lipstick you just need to be careful because many are drying

I was just reading Good Housekeeping and the beauty editor said the mattes are in right now and is the go to for the stars.

I don't like a high gloss or high sheen or glitter, just a sheer wash of color but want to see some color but not shiny so, guess I too prefer a matte finish.

Honored Contributor

I too have some nude lipsticks, but they arent't what I would really call nude, they have color, but it is just less intense color....Most of the time for me I like lipsticks with color, as I age I find that I need color on my lips-not necessarily dark burgundy or red, but I usually gravitate towards Mauve toned lipsticks, and I still enjoy glosses as well.........

Valued Contributor

Nude lips are, to me, like khaki pants: There are many different shades within that label. I love a nude lipstick on the peachy-brown end, NOT the so-light-it-looks-like-nothing end. Some actually do look lighter than the lip.  Clinique has a nice range of nude shades, and I have several in my arsenal. If one is sold out, there are others veryveryclose to it. To help you try before you buy, we all know those gals are more than happy to share the lipstick and Qtip love with you! (I've found some good nudes in IT and Doll 10, but I love the Clinique promotions.)

Honored Contributor

I also like nudes. I never wear red or anything too bright. I don't like to call attention to my lips as they are thin, not my best feature. I rather enhance my eyes.

Honored Contributor

I could not disagree more with the OP. I think makeup shoud look as natural as possible. I don't want someone to look at me and see makeup - I want them to not even notice I have MU on, and so I like nude or sheer lipsticks. And I very much dislike the patent leather look of lip glosses. To each their own. I prefer natural, always.