Honored Contributor

Was just on YT watching Nikol Johnson's new video called "Lip Lift" Technique.  Its a great lip application technique to make one's lips look fuller when putting on lipliner and lipstick.  Only 14 minutes long and its catered for the mature lady.  Some of you probably know this trick but for those that don't its worth watching.  I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Trusted Contributor

Re: "Lip Lift" Technique

[ Edited ]

I haven't watched the video but my makeup artist friend showed me years ago how to "cheat" my lips to make them fuller.

Eta- I just watched and it's the exact  tips I was taught.  It makes a huge difference, try it.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the Bette Davis look. Although, I think her's was natural.

I like my natural cupid's bow.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

Yes, the Bette Davis look. Although, I think her's was natural.

I like my natural cupid's bow.

@Harpa   I agree. I have a cupid's bow, too and it's a desirable lip shape. I would never draw over it. I enhance it. @JudyL   If that technique, is done, it looks fake and obvious IMHO.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the heads up!

I don't wear lipliner or opaque lipstick, more of a not too shiny gloss.

I've tried the Lip Lift, though it wasn't called that years ago when I tried it for the first time. 

I've seen it look great on others,  also on others not as good as their natural lips.

I don't have full lips, but I do have a nice cupid bow. Sure, I'd like a slightly fuller natural lip, but I'd still want to see the cupid bow. I like my smaller, cupid bow lips. 

Every now and then I give it a try but it never looks better on me than my natual lip line.

HeartCat Very HappyHeart

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Trusted Contributor

I remember years ago Alana Harkavi of Il-Makiage used to do that technique on the model's lips. I never thought it looked that great on me.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I saw she had a lip video up but I haven't watched it yet.  I figure she's either overlining or covering up the cupid's bow and I LIKE my cupid's bow.  My lips are full enough and I wear gloss.   Gloss makes them look more plump.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless I missed it in the video, I think this technique works better with lip products that are more opaque, like matte or semi-matte ones, rather than a lipstick that's on the glossier side. 

That make it very obvious you're cheating your lipline and cupid's bow., Courtney and Shawn both do it on TV with glossy lipsticks, not a good look.

@JudyLAfter you try the 'lip lift', I'm curious to know if it worked for you, and what you think of it..

Honored Contributor

@decaf 

Yeah, this isn't for me since I wear gloss exclusively and I would never consider lining over/covering up my cupid's bow!  

Trusted Contributor

If  I go out at night and wear lipliner and lipstick this technique works well for me.  I don't overdraw my lip line to the point of being unnatural or obvious.  Just cheat a little to create a younger mouth and a higher cupid's bow, it makes a huge difference,  

My friend taught me this ages ago.  It's nice Judy posted about the video..