Respected Contributor

"It starts its life as a ...."

Laura Geller says repeatedly, "it starts its life as a cream".  I cringed the first time I heard it.  A cream isn't living.  It doesn't have a life.  Other vendors have now started saying it.  The It Cosmetics lady and others have copied it.  "It starts its LIFE as a ..."  Yes, this is a small thing and yes, I have a life and this comment doesn't mean that I sit around worrying about the goofy statements, but yes, it seems like they could think of a more appropriate way to say what they mean.  "Before this is a powder, it is blended into a cream" or "This powder is made into a cream first and then dried into a powder." 

Honored Contributor

Re: "It starts its life as a ...."

I see no problem with Laura or others saying that.  Same when on the cooking shows they say "you marry the flavor of the sour cream in with the other ingredients."    

Esteemed Contributor

i've learned "not to sweat the small stuff....."

Respected Contributor

It is a harmless expression to explain origin and transition of a facial product. It is coy analogy, cute in its intention. 

I hope whatever is really bugging you gets better. 

Honored Contributor

Personification can be a good thing! Smiley Wink

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumenative

Respected Contributor

I totally understand your point. IMO it sounds better how LG says it. This is marketing and it can't be bland or boring. Words and meaning can be used in various ways to connote understanding.

Life in the sense of how humans are alive is not what is being evoked; it's the life cycle of producing something from a mere idea to an actual product.

In business, (from Google) "The seed stage of your business life cycle is when your business is just a thought or an idea. This is the very conception or birth of a new business". Therefore, the idea of something living in terms of a product or business is very commonly used.

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

I know what you mean, I'm tired of the color chart when they start with Fair "all the Nicole Kidmans of the world" & other vendors say it, too now. I just mute that part as I know her spiel and she's never going to change. It would be nice if they did reword their spiel for us regular viewers. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:

I know what you mean, I'm tired of the color chart when they start with Fair "all the Nicole Kidmans of the world" & other vendors say it, too now. I just mute that part as I know her spiel and she's never going to change. It would be nice if they did reword their spiel for us regular viewers. Smiley Happy

—————————————

Dont forget “you know who you are” 😎

Esteemed Contributor

@santorini-- I understand what you're saying.  It doesn't bother me that "it started life as a cream" -- what bothers me is that they say it over and over again every time there's a presentation.  I get sick of hearing the same descriptions and histories repeated with every beauty brand or skin care product.  I've totally quit watching beauty or skin care shows because of it. (BTW, It Cosmetics was on all 3 of the QVC networks during one hour early this morning)

I'm sure there are ladies who tune in for the first time that need to hear the stories - why can't QVC or the vendors change their scripts?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt