Super Contributor

Re: "How to ReApply Sunscreen over Makeup" vid

[ Edited ]

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Moisturizers now have sunscreen in them so why does one need sunscreen on top of their makeup?

@happygolfcartrider,

You need to re-apply sunscreen after every 2-hours of being in direct sun (uv breaks down spf ), after being in water or after sweating it off. If not then you should be okay with just your spf/moisturizer.Woman Happy

If I am going to be in direct sun for even an hour I skip the makeup and go for sunglasses, visor and sunscreen and always sunscreen and no makeup on the beach or around water ever, just sunscreen.

I skip for the beach too, but alot of beauties find themselves outside and wanting makeup (work, weddings, ceremonies,parties, etc,)  And pics may be taken.   Looking nice and feeling good about how ones looks is important sometimes even outside.  :-)

Super Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I watched but some of the things she says about sunscreen just has no scientific basis ,like if you makeup still looks good then your sunscreen is still "in tact" (and basically you don't need to reapply sunscreen).

She should have just focused on how to reapply the sunscreen and not include commentary about how often she thinks you really should apply and other things about the wear and lasting ability of sunscreens. It is a bit irresponsible of her, imo, especially if people believe her without verifying her information (which you will find in some cases isn't correct) which I am sure happens alot.

Hi HD.  Agreed.  I didn't intend a 100% endorsement of her vid., just thought it offered some good ideas and products.  I think she should word it "I feel my sunscreen is intact so I choose to do xyz..."  I think that is better than "you should..." I personally do not think a chemical sunscreen for example may still be effective several hours later, even if m/u still looks good. :-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SnowKita wrote:

Hi HD.  Agreed.  I didn't intend a 100% endorsement of her vid., just thought it offered some good ideas and products.  I think she should word it "I feel my sunscreen is intact so I choose to do xyz..."  I think that is better than "you should..." I personally do not think a chemical sunscreen for example may still be effective several hours later, even if m/u still looks good. :-)

@SnowKita agreed! I knew you weren't necessarily endorsing everything she said in the video but I was suprised that she made certain statements since she really doesn't have the authority to do so but may, sadly. have enough influence on people that may take what she says as an authority and that could have some dire consequences.

I've read many statements on these forums stating that chemical sunscreens don't need to reapply as often as chemical ones and that just isn't true. But it is their skin so what are ya gonna do? Smiley Wink

I think the lady in the video is very pretty, btw. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Valued Contributor

Like Angies channel and one of the few beauty channels I watch but hesitant with the sunscreen over the foundation Paula Begoun said in one of her q&a's it wasn't necessary unless it sweats off you are in the sun longer than the SPF is good in direct sun. Still a good video for those that choose to do this method.

Trusted Contributor

If dark spots are a problem that's another reason why some reapply their sunscreen. Lightening treatments won't work well if you don't. I don't want any more aging skin myself. Too many women think they're done for the day because they put on makeup with sunscreen in it. 

Respected Contributor

My daughter works for a derm and their office carries Obagi. They just came out with an SPF for the face that is heat resistant. When spending time in the sun especially at the beach an SPF alone may not always be sufficient. The heat can cause flareups of brown spots.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Moisturizers now have sunscreen in them so why does one need sunscreen on top of their makeup?

@happygolfcartrider,

You need to re-apply sunscreen after every 2-hours of being in direct sun (uv breaks down spf ), after being in water or after sweating it off. If not then you should be okay with just your spf/moisturizer.Woman Happy

Yep, this. If you spend a day outside in the sun and are relying on your moisturizer for the whole day, you will get burned. If you're just going to work, run errands, you don't need to worry about it.

Here in Texas, the days I'm out in the sun all day are usually also hot and/or humid days. My preference is to go without any makeup at all and carry baby wipes to remove any sweat, oil, and old sunscreen and then reapply more sunscreen. My makeup is just going to melt or slide off anyway, so I don't bother. I also carry an umbrella with me whenever I spend more than an hour in the sun, because it shades all of me and then I can worry a little less about missing a spot and reapplying every 2 hours.

I am super fair and worked outdoors when I was a teenager and in my 20s. Back then I used sunscreen before I went out, but didn't often reapply. I'm still paying for that today and am waiting for it to really bite me at some point, so for now I do what I can to prevent any new damage.

@ChynnaBlue

I can only imagine how hot it must be to spend a whole day out in the sun .... do you own a farm?   

There's no way I'd spend a whole day in the sun ... unless my life depended on it .....  maybe not even then  .... but you have a good system for sunscreen protection!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happygolfcartrider,

Yep, this. If you spend a day outside in the sun and are relying on your moisturizer for the whole day, you will get burned. If you're just going to work, run errands, you don't need to worry about it.

Here in Texas, the days I'm out in the sun all day are usually also hot and/or humid days. My preference is to go without any makeup at all and carry baby wipes to remove any sweat, oil, and old sunscreen and then reapply more sunscreen. My makeup is just going to melt or slide off anyway, so I don't bother. I also carry an umbrella with me whenever I spend more than an hour in the sun, because it shades all of me and then I can worry a little less about missing a spot and reapplying every 2 hours.

I am super fair and worked outdoors when I was a teenager and in my 20s. Back then I used sunscreen before I went out, but didn't often reapply. I'm still paying for that today and am waiting for it to really bite me at some point, so for now I do what I can to prevent any new damage.

@ChynnaBlue

I can only imagine how hot it must be to spend a whole day out in the sun .... do you own a farm?   

There's no way I'd spend a whole day in the sun ... unless my life depended on it .....  maybe not even then  .... but you have a good system for sunscreen protection!

No! I would melt on a farm! I don't even know how I survive in Texas! Smiley Happy I try to spend as much time indoors as possible when it's really hot, but sometimes there's an outdoor event I want to attend. Austin has a LOT of events and festivals, but most of them are in March/April or October. In October, you may wind up with 6 different major festivals and events in a single weekend because that's when the weather allows it and everyone tries to cram everything in there. But Austin is also unpredictable, so it may be 76 and overcast or 90 and sunny, even in late October. Either way, I make sure I'm covered in sunscreen from the part in my hair to my ankles.

They even have evening events outdoors, and one October it was 45 degrees at 9 pm and the following October it was 75.