Super Contributor

"How to ReApply Sunscreen over Makeup" vid

Hi Beauties, I think this is a makeup issue that can be tricky to deal with for all ages.  Hot & Flashy (Angie) is beauty youtuber that is geared toward older ladies.  But she has this new vid. that has some good tips, reminders & product rec's that can be useful  for younger makeup wears as well.  Enjoy!   ~smiles, SnowKita

(no affiliation with her btw  ;-) )  

Honored Contributor

Re: "How to ReApply Sunscreen over Makeup" vid

Should post the link

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Should post the link

Some people don't know how to post links. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exbor_0c8_I

Respected Contributor

Moisturizers now have sunscreen in them so why does one need sunscreen on top of their makeup?

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

Moisturizers now have sunscreen in them so why does one need sunscreen on top of their makeup?

@happygolfcartrider,

You need to re-apply sunscreen after every 2-hours of being in direct sun (uv breaks down spf ), after being in water or after sweating it off. If not then you should be okay with just your spf/moisturizer.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happygolfcartrider,

You need to re-apply sunscreen after every 2-hours of being in direct sun (uv breaks down spf ), after being in water or after sweating it off. If not then you should be okay with just your spf/moisturizer.Woman Happy

If I am going to be in direct sun for even an hour I skip the makeup and go for sunglasses, visor and sunscreen and always sunscreen and no makeup on the beach or around water ever, just sunscreen.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happygolfcartrider,

Yep, this. If you spend a day outside in the sun and are relying on your moisturizer for the whole day, you will get burned. If you're just going to work, run errands, you don't need to worry about it.

Here in Texas, the days I'm out in the sun all day are usually also hot and/or humid days. My preference is to go without any makeup at all and carry baby wipes to remove any sweat, oil, and old sunscreen and then reapply more sunscreen. My makeup is just going to melt or slide off anyway, so I don't bother. I also carry an umbrella with me whenever I spend more than an hour in the sun, because it shades all of me and then I can worry a little less about missing a spot and reapplying every 2 hours.

I am super fair and worked outdoors when I was a teenager and in my 20s. Back then I used sunscreen before I went out, but didn't often reapply. I'm still paying for that today and am waiting for it to really bite me at some point, so for now I do what I can to prevent any new damage.

Respected Contributor

I watched her video and my take was that (in addition to not reapplying every 2 hours)  most people don't use as much sunscreen as they should (i.e. half teaspoon for face) so by layering it with spf foundation or powder also helps protect your skin. 

Honored Contributor

I watched but some of the things she says about sunscreen just has no scientific basis ,like if you makeup still looks good then your sunscreen is still "in tact" (and basically you don't need to reapply sunscreen).

She should have just focused on how to reapply the sunscreen and not include commentary about how often she thinks you really should apply and other things about the wear and lasting ability of sunscreens. It is a bit irresponsible of her, imo, especially if people believe her without verifying her information (which you will find in some cases isn't correct) which I am sure happens alot.

Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Should post the link

Some people don't know how to post links. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exbor_0c8_I

Thank you ChynnaBlue. I used to be able to but just haven't bothered to figure it out since the big board change. I thought I gave enough info. for it to be easily found.