Honored Contributor

Before Christmas, there was some discussion of disappointment with wigs.  So hard to know what you are getting!  This one isn't for eneryone, but you probably know if you like this kind of look, or can't stand it.  It's good if you:

1.  Like a short A-line bob with cute bangs

2.  Like a quirky, "messy" look, with waves and straight pieces all mixed in.

3.  Want something that any age can wear.  (Since this is a short enough bob and doesn't "drag down" more mature faces and features.)

As Heather says in the review below, it is very voluminous, and could overwhelm very small faces.  It's easy for a stylist to thin it.  I learned how to do it with just a pair of thinning shears.  You lift a few sections around the top, and thin a few sections underneath.  I also shortened the sides a tiny bit.

If this is the kind of a little bit carefree/kooky look you like, it might be a good one to try.

Here are two videos, one conventional one that discusses "Flutter" on a manniquin, and then one of Heather Hershey's very individualized, detailed reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=7ESAXpUagqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=345&v=1e1BeluiOyA

Trusted Contributor

I wear wigs and I have learned a lot from you tube.  None of these wigs are perfect right out the package.  In my opinion, synthetic wigs are very inexpensive and once you get educated you can find other brands for less than 50.00

You tube is a blessing.

many of the wigs looks shiny, you need to take down the shine with dry shampoo.

many time the part in the wig needs to be thinned out and you need to put concealor on the part to make it look more like a scalp.

I learned so many things on you tube.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

So true, @Happiness Is Inside JOB!   There are so many fun "tricks" that make the whole wig-discovering experience better.  "Godiva's Secret Wigs" has an excellent youtube on thinning wigs, makes it so much easier so that anyone can do it.  Patti Joyce of "Wigs by Patti's Pearls" is another fantastic teacher on youtube, and her thinning and cutting videos are invaluable.  She's a blast, too.

If only people who are embarking on this for the first time knew about all the terrific info out there, it would make this unknown world of wigs so much less of a chore and a mystery! 

Esteemed Contributor

Oznell wrote:

So true, @Happiness Is Inside JOB!   There are so many fun "tricks" that make the whole wig-discovering experience better.  "Godiva's Secret Wigs" has an excellent youtube on thinning wigs, makes it so much easier so that anyone can do it.  Patti Joyce of "Wigs by Patti's Pearls" is another fantastic teacher on youtube, and her thinning and cutting videos are invaluable.  She's a blast, too.

If only people who are embarking on this for the first time knew about all the terrific info out there, it would make this unknown world of wigs so much less of a chore and a mystery! 

Wigs are not an unknown world for a certain population.  Sisters (as in African American women) have been hip to the tricks of choosing and styling wigs for decades.  As a "sister" I'm not saying this to offend anyone.Woman Happy  That said, the information available on the internet is most welcome help for everyone. No one suffers from learning more.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, @Trix, and the Intenet has offered a platform to so many African-American wig mavens with great ideas and expertise for all populations.  We're all the beneficiaries of the massive broadcast potentialities online.

Don't you find, like I do, that being able to browse all the wig companies online is also a huge advantage?  It's definitely a step forward from catalog shopping or viewing the more limited inventories in stores and wig shops.  Although at least in wig stores you get to "feel" and try on as well as see the items....

Trusted Contributor

Once you get educated you realize the prices on the Q for wigs is too much for synthetic wigs. Below are a few you tube ladies who do with tutorials and will help greatly.

Makeup by myra.

BlondieLocks

Kellie Flanery

CC Clarke Beauty

My0LittleSecret

Christie Lynn

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

I buy all my wigs online and many times I just go to beauty supply stores to look only. 

in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing resources, @Happiness Is Inside JOB!

Honored Contributor

Another concern of wig buyers is the lack of consistency from product to product.  It's not all that unusual to fall in love with one style, and order it again, and find that it is different.  It might be slightly shorter, less full, more full, have wefts showing, or whatever.  This is unfortunately a hazard of the game, but there are certain brands and styles that have more consistency.

But now that I've got my second "Flutter", I'm happy to report that it's almost identical to the first!  The color is consistent too-- mine is Gabor "Buttered Biscuit" which despite the name is a neutral dark or dirty blonde, with a mix of honey and ash tones.

Because "Flutter" has that unique mixture of both wavy and straight strands, in seemingly carefree abandon all around, I wondered if the second one would be similar.  Well, it has virtually the same wavy-straight curl pattern that seems random and hard to replicate, but apparently isn't...

Esteemed Contributor

Oznell wrote:

Yes, @Trixx, and the Intenet has offered a platform to so many African-American wig mavens with great ideas and expertise for all populations.  We're all the beneficiaries of the massive broadcast potentialities online.

Don't you find, like I do, that being able to browse all the wig companies online is also a huge advantage?  It's definitely a step forward from catalog shopping or viewing the more limited inventories in stores and wig shops.  Although at least in wig stores you get to "feel" and try on as well as see the items....

@Oznell The internet has been a godsend for wig shopping.  I buy almost all of my wigs online now.  If any need cut styling I'll take the wig into my salon.  In some communities in Chicago (and I'm sure other areas as well) local beauty supply stores are still a great go to for wig shopping because you can try on and some of them offer cut and style services.  Some also will order special colors they don't stock in their store, but I usually don't utilize that service because knowing the brand and style name I can order it myself online.