Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You can get an infection doing your own toenails also.  I have been getting a pedi for about 6 years now and never once got an infection.  Most nail salons are safe because thats their business.

Oh no, that is not true.  Most nail salons are not safe because it is almost impossible to completely sanitize the foot soaking bowl and many salons are too busy to even try.

If you have a fissure, a cut or any break in your skin, you are in danger of getting an  infection.  You can also get foot or toenail fungus along with plantar warts.

Actually, there are many things that can go wrong. Thankfully, you have been lucky.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You can get an infection doing your own toenails also.  I have been getting a pedi for about 6 years now and never once got an infection.  Most nail salons are safe because thats their business.

Totally disagree.  There was someone who pasted in this group just a week or so ago who got a very bad infection from a pedicure at one of those places.  Do they empty and sanitize those foot baths after every client?  

Honored Contributor

I was wondering about those Baby Feet products.  I don't have buildup of skin so much.  It's more tough skin mainly on the outside around the heels and the big toe.  My other issue is the skin around the toenails just looks dry/rough.  I'm pretty good about using foot creams like O'Keefe's and KeraSal which has salicylic acid which acts as an exfoliator, but that's not quite enough to take care of that roughness.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I was wondering about those Baby Feet products.  I don't have buildup of skin so much.  It's more tough skin mainly on the outside around the heels and the big toe.  My other issue is the skin around the toenails just looks dry/rough.  I'm pretty good about using foot creams like O'Keefe's and KeraSal which has salicylic acid which acts as an exfoliator, but that's not quite enough to take care of that roughness.

@Icegoddess 

Your situation with the feet sounds like mine. Most foot creams only take care of part of my problem. That Earth Therapeutics foot file I mentioned earlier upthread is what I use on my dry feet first. Then apply my foot cream at night. My feet are baby-soft in the morning! Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee - Thank you for that recommendation - I think I might get one of those.

@Icegoddess - Usually I do the BabyFeet(?) a few times a year - and do maintenance the remaining. I soak my feet for about 45 minutes first. Takes 5-7 days for feet to start peeling.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Totally disagree.  There was someone who pasted in this group just a week or so ago who got a very bad infection from a pedicure at one of those places.  Do they empty and sanitize those foot baths after every client?  

Have you ever had a pedicure? They don’t reuse the water.  Bowl is sanitized, tools are sanitized. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Have you tried the Emjoli?  It's so easy to use and widely popular.

https://www.qvc.com/Emjoi-Micro-Pedi-Battery-Op-Callus-Remover-with2-Rollers.product.A362866.html?sc...

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Battery Op Callus Remover with2 Rollers - A362866

I love this thing! I had it for a while without using it and one day I tried it and I was hooked. 

Esteemed Contributor

I swear by the Emjoy pedi tool. It really does work for all of my foot needs. I tlike that you really can't hurt yourself with this tool. Some of those pedi tools look too sharp for home use. I won't be without this tool. In fact, I own two.   

Respected Contributor

Although I dont go to salons very often for pedicures,  the ones I have gone to are using disposable tub liners, and some of the buffing pads are also disposable.   I mostly do my own pedicures.  I'm super picky about it, and I like my feet done every 2 weeks.   I use a rough paddle type for the dry skin on my heels, and tips of toes.  I buff them with this on dry feet.  Then, I apply cuticle remover, and shower with a good body scrub.   Then o'Keefe's for feet, and my toe polish. 

I would like to try the paddle @silliyme recommended..sounds good.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou This is a great one! It’s two-sided...one coarse & one fine. I use mine once a week & it keeps me from having to pay extra for callous care when I get my monthly pedicure.

3CD4F70F-3227-4CEF-8F6E-EAF6B23BEE7D.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.