Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You can get an infection doing your own toenails also.  I have been getting a pedi for about 6 years now and never once got an infection.  Most nail salons are safe because thats their business.

Oh no, that is not true.  Most nail salons are not safe because it is almost impossible to completely sanitize the foot soaking bowl and many salons are too busy to even try.

If you have a fissure, a cut or any break in your skin, you are in danger of getting an  infection.  You can also get foot or toenail fungus along with plantar warts.

Actually, there are many things that can go wrong. Thankfully, you have been lucky.

@Carmie @Imaoldhippie 

I have never had a mani or pedi. I always do it myself. Never had any infections or nail fungus. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "Feet descalers "

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was a big fan of the Emjoi Micropedi until I found this foot file. It's a diamond file, not a grater. Measures 8.5" long by 3" wide. One side (shown here) has a bumpy rough surface that gets the job done. The other side is the smoothing side to make your feet really smooth and touchable. Inside the the bottom of the handle is a small smooth file...looks like a nail file sort of...and it slides inside the handle. This file will change your mind about foot files forever. It's is truly life-changing. There is no comparison to it. Check out Ulta and see over 200 nearly perfect reviews for the file there. It's awesome!!

EARTH THERAPEUTICS Diamond File - $10

Use it on dry feet for the best results.

41t3vm1PL9L.jpg

File is washable. Handle is ergonomic and made with easy to hold grip material.

@SilleeMee 

I have 2 of those I bought from Mark V beauty that used to sell the crystal nail files on Q. They came in a set of 3 with a small purse size nail file, regular nail file & foot file. He also sold the above. There was always good deals but his site online has been gone for quite some time now.

I still like using my Emjoi & footnanny cream.

Guess those will come in handy when I'm not able to each my feet. At some point I will need an even longer handle.

My issue is keeping my heels, big toe filed smooth. The rest of my feet are soft.

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Have you tried the Emjoli?  It's so easy to use and widely popular.

https://www.qvc.com/Emjoi-Micro-Pedi-Battery-Op-Callus-Remover-with2-Rollers.product.A362866.html?sc...

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Battery Op Callus Remover with2 Rollers - A362866

I love this thing! I had it for a while without using it and one day I tried it and I was hooked. 

@Pqfan @ECBG 

I used and loved the battery operated one for years (used rechargeable batteries so no need to buy replacements) but it eventually died. I replaced it with the electric version (long cord!) and love it even more! I can keep my feet looking sandal ready all the time!

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You can get an infection doing your own toenails also.  I have been getting a pedi for about 6 years now and never once got an infection.  Most nail salons are safe because thats their business.

Totally disagree.  There was someone who pasted in this group just a week or so ago who got a very bad infection from a pedicure at one of those places.  Do they empty and sanitize those foot baths after every client?  

Have you ever had a pedicure? They don’t reuse the water.  Bowl is sanitized, tools are sanitized. 

Actually, no I have not.  I wear socks and shoes most of the time so I see no need to pay someone to care for my feet.  They're actually in better shape than a lot of sandaled feet I see out there.  But, I do know that someone here got a bad infection from a professional pedicure.  

Honored Contributor

I like the emjoi, the corded one is better, and it really takes the dry skin off.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

When you say descaler I think of those things that look like cheese graters.  Very passe.  The Amope and Emjoi type of rotating stones work much better without risk of cutting flesh.  

Honored Contributor

Once a week I soak in the tub, and use a manual  callus scraper when my feet are soft.  That works really good. I also use one of the battery operated ones  that QVC sells on occasion. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Oh no, that is not true.  Most nail salons are not safe because it is almost impossible to completely sanitize the foot soaking bowl and many salons are too busy to even try.

If you have a fissure, a cut or any break in your skin, you are in danger of getting an  infection.  You can also get foot or toenail fungus along with plantar warts.

Actually, there are many things that can go wrong. Thankfully, you have been lucky.

@Carmie @Imaoldhippie 

I have never had a mani or pedi. I always do it myself. Never had any infections or nail fungus. 

I do my own too.  I do my DH's as well.  he can't reach his feet.  I am licensed to do mani and pedi's, but I prefer not to work on people's feet or hands.  I passed my state boards, so I had to study about all of the things that can go wrong, and I have personally seen things go bad.

It is nearly impossible to sanitize between customers and being that it is a wet environment, bacteria as well as viruses are present.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i go get regular manicures and they use the "cheese grater" and a dremel type tool on my feet.

at home, i have an emjoi, baby feet, and the tweezerman sole smoother.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Deborah Lippmann. Her Soul Survivor foot tool is sold at Nordstrom and I’ve also bought her products on HSN.

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/deborah-lippmann-soul-survivor-foot-file/4832150?origin=keywordsearch...