Respected Contributor

I haven't seen anyone selling feet descalers lately . I think if that much skin builds up it has to be some sort of medicla issue, like  being a diabetic. For the longest time they were on the Q. And in stores shaped like a egg. But For some reason I think they went by the way side. I purchased them but I can't bend my body to use them, It is very painful for me to descale and cut my toe nails. But I wouldn't trust those pedicure places. I have heard of infections happening from pedicures and  artificial nails also. 

Esteemed Contributor

The older you get the harder it is to take care of your feet. I got a foot scraper at Sephora, it’s a longer handled one and I use it a few times a month. Not only is it hard to reach and cut your nails I can’t see that well anymore. I know what you mean about nail salons, I got lucky my friends daughter own a beauty shop and they do mani and pedicures. I treat myself every summer to a couple pedicures. Knock wood I never had any issues. 

Honored Contributor

Taking care of your feet is very important.

You can probably get insurance to pay for the first visit with a podiatrist but to go back just for a nail trimming will have to be out of pocket.    The cost should be no more than a mani-pedi and so worth it.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried the Emjoli?  It's so easy to use and widely popular.

https://www.qvc.com/Emjoi-Micro-Pedi-Battery-Op-Callus-Remover-with2-Rollers.product.A362866.html?sc...

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Battery Op Callus Remover with2 Rollers - A362866

Honored Contributor

Re: "Feet descalers "

[ Edited ]

I was a big fan of the Emjoi Micropedi until I found this foot file. It's a diamond file, not a grater. Measures 8.5" long by 3" wide. One side (shown here) has a bumpy rough surface that gets the job done. The other side is the smoothing side to make your feet really smooth and touchable. Inside the the bottom of the handle is a small smooth file...looks like a nail file sort of...and it slides inside the handle. This file will change your mind about foot files forever. It's is truly life-changing. There is no comparison to it. Check out Ulta and see over 200 nearly perfect reviews for the file there. It's awesome!!

EARTH THERAPEUTICS Diamond File - $10

Use it on dry feet for the best results.

41t3vm1PL9L.jpg

File is washable. Handle is ergonomic and made with easy to hold grip material.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee @I bought this file after seeing it recommended (I think by you, thank you!) and it really is great! I did not know the little file was in the handle!  I had to go look at mine so thank you again!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was a big fan of the Emjoi Micropedi until I found this foot file. It's a diamond file, not a grater. Measures 8.5" long by 3" wide. One side (shown here) has a bumpy rough surface that gets the job done. The other side is the smoothing side to make your feet really smooth and touchable. Inside the the bottom of the handle is a small smooth file...looks like a nail file sort of...and it slides inside the handle. This file will change your mind about foot files forever. It's is truly life-changing. There is no comparison to it. Check out Ulta and see over 200 nearly perfect reviews for the file there. It's awesome!!

EARTH THERAPEUTICS Diamond File - $10

Use it on dry feet for the best results.

41t3vm1PL9L.jpg

File is washable. Handle is ergonomic and made with easy to hold grip material.

@SilleeMee   Thank you for posting this.  I need something like this and just ordered it.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

They’ve got some with handles on Amazon. I also recommend having a podiatrist cut your toenails. My elderly aunt went to the wound care clinic recently and the PA told us that some of her patients were women whose pedicures were botched, resulting in some nasty infections. 

Honored Contributor

You can get an infection doing your own toenails also.  I have been getting a pedi for about 6 years now and never once got an infection.  Most nail salons are safe because thats their business.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Taking care of your feet is very important.

You can probably get insurance to pay for the first visit with a podiatrist but to go back just for a nail trimming will have to be out of pocket.    The cost should be no more than a mani-pedi and so worth it.

If you are diabetic and have Medicare, you are covered at a podiatrist to have routine foot care, including cutting your nails.

if you are not diabetic, you are on your own.