Valued Contributor

Re: "Blackheads" - Why bother?

I have large pores on my nose and chin.  Always looks like my nose is covered with blackheads.   Used both Paula's Choice 2% BHA and Stridex pads and no change.  Was recently at the derm's office and she recommended Differin .01 which is now available over the counter.  Been using for about 2 months and have definately seen an improvement.  I have an eyebrow plucker that has a large rounded end and I use that to extract the gunk from my pores.  Derm said that would not harm me and said to continue with the procedure as needed.  Use it about every 4 to 5 days.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus...you swiped the words right off my keyboard.

They're unattractive, and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't tackle the underlying cause(s) if the need arose. Yes, we know how they form.

Those afflicted should address the problem and get rid of them.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

I just bought 2 blackhead removing gadgets on AMZN.  But this morning, I have buyers remorse.  My thought?  "Why bother?".

WHY do some people remove nose blackheads?  Is it for esthetics or what?

Isn't it just "oil" (skin sebum)?

@RinaRina   Why bother? One reason is that it's not attractive and I relate it to poor facial hygiene. I tell it like it is. Secondly, leaving the "crud" (lol @SilleeMee ) in the pores will eventually enlarge the pore, stretching it to the point where even when eventually cleared out, those pores will remain quite visible. ***Please leave the extraction tools to the pros. You can leave scars on your face w/ too much pressure. 

When @Shanus said to leave the extraction tools to the pros, it made me think of Dr. Pimple Popper who has been advertising her comedone extractor tool for sale.  It's on her website for $20.  I can remember being told in junior high health class that we shouldn't squeeze or use a tool like a bobby pin, so it surprises me that Dr. PP makes this tool available for purchase.  Even her videos have a disclaimer about seeking professionals.  I wonder how much she's made from these.

@wildcat fan   She's obviously making enough money selling these tools that it's worth going against her own advice. 

Giggle.

All due respect....she's not making her fortune from a comedone extractor. Her YouTube channel has close to 6Million followers....which each video getting millions & millions of views.  Those videos are monetized...then the popularity of the channel morphed into her skin line, then morphed into a national show.  I've watched a lot of her videos...and rarely, if I can think of even one, does she 'hard sell' her comedone extractor. You can buy them anywhere....and I don't recall in her videos where she says not to use. 🤷‍♀️

Good points, @sidsmom She certainly has a large following of popoholics.  I don't consider her trying to do a hard sell, but there was a point over the summer that I noticed she was doing more to promote her SLMD line and the extractor. I guess I noticed it because I'd never seen her mention it before then suddenly she was talking about it.  Maybe it was because she had started selling the line at Target.  Of course, she's certainly free to promote on her own channel/show and social media.  I think it was on her social media that I noticed the promotions.  I was just wondering how much she was making from the line.  The thread's discussion about blackheads naturally made me think of her.  Thanks for your insight.

Honored Contributor

@clarika wrote:

-SilleeMee, this is a seperate question: do you have thoughts and suggestions on Hyaluronic acid ? Thanks

Clacina

@SilleeMee 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@clarika wrote:

-SilleeMee, this is a seperate question: do you have thoughts and suggestions on Hyaluronic acid ? Thanks

Clacina

I'm sorry it took so long to reply to your post @clarika . Next time please use the @ key and that will drop down the posters here on this thread so you can choose one to reply to. That will give a notification to me, for instance, and that way I'll know you were referencing me. Thanks to @LTT1  for directing me to your post about hyaluronic acid.Woman Happy

What is it about hyaluronic acid that you want to know? 

Honored Contributor

I don't have an issue with blackheads, but I get those hard white things -- I believe they are called milia?  Any how -- I hate them and they don't go away.  I asked my derm several times and he said --- leave them alone.  Because my skin is so super sensitive and I have rosacea, he will not recommend anyting for me to use and said -- absolutely do not use any scrubs or anyrhing abrasive at all.  My skin lights up like a Christmas tree unless I treat it very gently.  I am very self-conscious of these things.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee, my apologies , I was looking for a brand recommendation when it came to Hyaluronic acid.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

My sonic spatula gets rid of it really well. I'd recommend trying one. You can get a really inexpensive one and it will work exactly the same as the more expensive versions.

=============================================

That's one of the "gadgets".

I got a cheap one on AMZN.  Haven't tried it yet.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

OP are you sure you not confusing sebaceous filaments and blackheads?

Honored Contributor

@clarika wrote:

@SilleeMee, my apologies , I was looking for a brand recommendation when it came to Hyaluronic acid.

@clarika 

No worries. Woman Happy I haven't used any HA serums in a very long time. So I don't know what's out there. There have been some posters mention a few brands listed on Amazon....there are so many! If someone else sees your question then maybe they could chime in and recommend one for you. Sorry I couldn't help you with that one.