Valued Contributor

Re: "Blackheads" - Why bother?

@SilleeMee  I just wanted to say a big "thank you". You post very helpful information, and though I rarely comment on it I am learning a lot!

I appreciate the info this go 'round on salicyclic acid (BHA). 

I have terrible pores from years of not taking care of them properly. You could probably drive a UPS truck through some of the 20,000 on my face Cat Surprised

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

I just bought 2 blackhead removing gadgets on AMZN.  But this morning, I have buyers remorse.  My thought?  "Why bother?".

WHY do some people remove nose blackheads?  Is it for esthetics or what?

Isn't it just "oil" (skin sebum)?

@RinaRina   Why bother? One reason is that it's not attractive and I relate it to poor facial hygiene. I tell it like it is. Secondly, leaving the "crud" (lol @SilleeMee ) in the pores will eventually enlarge the pore, stretching it to the point where even when eventually cleared out, those pores will remain quite visible. ***Please leave the extraction tools to the pros. You can leave scars on your face w/ too much pressure. 

When @Shanus said to leave the extraction tools to the pros, it made me think of Dr. Pimple Popper who has been advertising her comedone extractor tool for sale.  It's on her website for $20.  I can remember being told in junior high health class that we shouldn't squeeze or use a tool like a bobby pin, so it surprises me that Dr. PP makes this tool available for purchase.  Even her videos have a disclaimer about seeking professionals.  I wonder how much she's made from these.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a comedome extractor,

if used correctly.  It's flat so the pressure is evenly dispersed

versus a fingernail or bobby pin.  When the 'leave the extraction

to the professionals' comes in is....if it doesn't extract.

Don't continue to mash it. That's when it needs a pro's help.

Many times Dr. Lee will need to use a small blade to open up the 

size of the opening for total extraction...and that's something which

shouldn't be done at home. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SunSprite 

Oh thank you very much for your kind words. Woman Happy 

Sounds like your poor pores could use a little tlc. That Paula's Choice liquid is very popular and a favorite for many who use it. It's not too expensive either. 

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

I just bought 2 blackhead removing gadgets on AMZN.  But this morning, I have buyers remorse.  My thought?  "Why bother?".

@RinaRina   Why bother? One reason is that it's not attractive and I relate it to poor facial hygiene. I tell it like it is. Secondly, leaving the "crud" (lol @SilleeMee ) in the pores will eventually enlarge the pore, stretching it to the point where even when eventually cleared out, those pores will remain quite visible. ***Please leave the extraction tools to the pros. You can leave scars on your face w/ too much pressure. 

When @Shanus said to leave the extraction tools to the pros, it made me think of Dr. Pimple Popper who has been advertising her comedone extractor tool for sale.  It's on her website for $20.  I can remember being told in junior high health class that we shouldn't squeeze or use a tool like a bobby pin, so it surprises me that Dr. PP makes this tool available for purchase.  Even her videos have a disclaimer about seeking professionals.  I wonder how much she's made from these.

@wildcat fan   She's obviously making enough money selling these tools that it's worth going against her own advice. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I don't get blackheads, but I do get stuff (it's just not black) in the pores on my nose. My sonic spatula gets rid of it really well. I'd recommend trying one. You can get a really inexpensive one and it will work exactly the same as the more expensive versions.

Blackheads aren't the end of the world at all. And if you don't want to get rid of yours that's totally fine.

Edited to add: You are right @RinaRina. Blackheads are just sebum that collects and solidifies in the pore and then the black part is dead skin cells that collect on the outer part and oxidize from contact with the air.

@Porcelain   I can't think of a good reason I'd want all that collected "stuff" that turns dark and obvious on my face if using something that exfoliates can help clear the pores out.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@wildcat fan   She's obviously making enough money selling these tools that it's worth going against her own advice. 

Giggle.

All due respect....she's not making her fortune from a comedone extractor. Her YouTube channel has close to 6Million followers....which each video getting millions & millions of views.  Those videos are monetized...then the popularity of the channel morphed into her skin line, then morphed into a national show.  I've watched a lot of her videos...and rarely, if I can think of even one, does she 'hard sell' her comedone extractor. You can buy them anywhere....and I don't recall in her videos where she says not to use. 🤷‍♀️

Respected Contributor

"Dr. Pimple Popper"

I've never heard of her.  But I just went to her Instagram page and YUCK! - the pictures!

She must LOVE her work.  LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Regular Contributor

-SilleeMee, this is a seperate question: do you have thoughts and suggestions on Hyaluronic acid ? Thanks

Clacina

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   I watched her show a few times before being totally grossed out and back in the day, when I did facials, I'm licensed to do extractions. I've never done more than milia, blackheads, whiteheads, etc. Definitely would never attempt the huge cysts The Popper tackles...that's derm territory. She has said on shows not to pop pimples due to scarring. If advice is not squeezing pimples, isn't that the same as not squeezing anything on your face that could scar, not to mention become infected? If all the substance is not removed, is then exposed to the air by "scraping or opening" the head of it, bacteria can get in. Trouble for sure.

When I was a teen, there were Stridex pads, not sure if still available and now Biore for blackhead/pore clearing out.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

"Dr. Pimple Popper"

I've never heard of her.  But I just went to her Instagram page and YUCK! - the pictures!

She must LOVE her work.  LOL!

@RinaRina   It is disgusting to watch what comes out, some so large, sutures are required. Why people are interested, no fixated, enough to have her in a TV series beats me.