Respected Contributor

I just bought 2 blackhead removing gadgets on AMZN.  But this morning, I have buyers remorse.  My thought?  "Why bother?".

WHY do some people remove nose blackheads?  Is it for esthetics or what?

Isn't it just "oil" (skin sebum)?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Blackheads" - Why bother?

@RinaRina 

Get a little bit of superfine sugar, maybe add a little bit of water and/or oil....(especially castor) and massage over the area. Presto!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it comes to pore health including blackheads, clogged and congested pores, salicylic acid (BHA) is the best thing to use.  BHAs dissolves pore 'crud' and helps keep pores clean so you won't get blackheads. Use it regularly, as needed, and be aware that it can dry out your skin.

2% BHA products, such as Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid and Stridex Maximum Pads (alcohol free), are most effective at maintaining good pore health.  Stridex pads seem to be a bit more drying but still very effective when used less frequently.

FACT:  There are approx 20,000 pores on your face alone.

Honored Contributor

Blackheads are one of the few things that freak me out.  I use Huggies baby wipes vigorously at least once a day and that solves the problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

I just bought 2 blackhead removing gadgets on AMZN.  But this morning, I have buyers remorse.  My thought?  "Why bother?".

@RinaRina   Why bother? One reason is that it's not attractive and I relate it to poor facial hygiene. I tell it like it is. Secondly, leaving the "crud" (lol @SilleeMee ) in the pores will eventually enlarge the pore, stretching it to the point where even when eventually cleared out, those pores will remain quite visible. ***Please leave the extraction tools to the pros. You can leave scars on your face w/ too much pressure. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Blackheads are one of the few things that freak me out.  I use Huggies baby wipes vigorously at least once a day and that solves the problem.

@depglass   Huggies are not meant to be facial wipes. They have a residue. If clogged pores are an issue, acid peel pads on those areas are the best bet. Even if I use facial wipes to remove makeup, I feel a residue left on my face and cleanse with my usual cleanser. 

Respected Contributor

Amazon usually has a great return policy. Send it back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't get blackheads, but I do get stuff (it's just not black) in the pores on my nose. My sonic spatula gets rid of it really well. I'd recommend trying one. You can get a really inexpensive one and it will work exactly the same as the more expensive versions.

Blackheads aren't the end of the world at all. And if you don't want to get rid of yours that's totally fine.

Edited to add: You are right @RinaRina. Blackheads are just sebum that collects and solidifies in the pore and then the black part is dead skin cells that collect on the outer part and oxidize from contact with the air.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I had clogged pores on my chin. I tried everything, nothing worked. I started using the Tatcha cleansing system and my pores are cleaned out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@RinaRina   Why bother? One reason is that it's not attractive and I relate it to poor facial hygiene. I tell it like it is. Secondly, leaving the "crud" (lol @SilleeMee ) in the pores will eventually enlarge the pore, stretching it to the point where even when eventually cleared out, those pores will remain quite visible. ***Please leave the extraction tools to the pros. You can leave scars on your face w/ too much pressure. 

When @Shanus said to leave the extraction tools to the pros, it made me think of Dr. Pimple Popper who has been advertising her comedone extractor tool for sale.  It's on her website for $20.  I can remember being told in junior high health class that we shouldn't squeeze or use a tool like a bobby pin, so it surprises me that Dr. PP makes this tool available for purchase.  Even her videos have a disclaimer about seeking professionals.  I wonder how much she's made from these.