Honored Contributor

Re: "Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

@suzyQ3  So you only put mascara on the middle of your lashes and so you have brown lashes with black mascara just in the middle?? Two toned lashes is a new concept to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@suzyQ3  So you only put mascara on the middle of your lashes and so you have brown lashes with black mascara just in the middle?? Two toned lashes is a new concept to me.

No, I think I should clarify, @151949. First, my eyelashes appear to be black, not brown. I often apply my mascara from the inner eye but stop about two-thirds toward the outer corner.

This was a suggestion I picked for those with very down-turned eyes, just as mine. The idea is that you don't want to do anything to emphasize that downard turn of your eyes. It does help a bit and in no way looks odd or two-toned (given that my eyelashes are not light in color).

A while back I even started a thread about this for others with the dreaded down-turn, which may have looked somewhat sexy when I was very young but now just ages me.

HTH.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could never wear eyeliner on my top lid. I could never master the technique. I tried tightlining but the color always transfers to the top of my lower lid, above the lash line. I do wear black mascara.

Sometimes, I line a light brown powder, or taupe powder on my lower lid, it pops my blue/green eyes.  

Who tightlines and and what do you use so the color doesn't transfer to the top of your lower llid above the lash line?  Even though I of course clean it off my lower lid but it continues to transfer. 🙄

And yes I do think black liner looks harsh but if applied properly it can look good. 

Regular Contributor

According to a fashion icon I respect. Black eyeliner very close to your upper eyelashes will help give the illusion of thicker eyelashes. 

No eyeliner under lower lid, she does say it is too harsh.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about eyeliner, but I've been noticing that some women who wear very thick, long false eyelashes look much older than they are.  Something about them that seems aging.  Also sometimes look as though they are actresses on stage and need very strong eye definition so the audience can see their facial features from far distances. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I use black liner to tight line between my dark lashes to add definition. Then use brown, grey or navy liner close to the top lashes for added definition....Black looks harsh on ME. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StraytoStay wrote:

Depends how they put it on. I don't agree that statement goes for everyone. 

I agree with this. Bad eyeliner can look too harsh on anyone of any age. I see some women in 50s who put eyeliner on the same way they did when they were 25 - a full circle of thick, black eyeliner on the top and bottom lashes. It's less about the color than they way it's being applied and worn. 

Case Study: Joan Jett. She wears it because it's her signature, and because she can get away with it, but I see a lot of women who grew up with Joan Jett who are also still stuck in this eyeliner style and they can't get away with it the way she can. A thick black line all the way around the eye doesn't work for most people.

Image result

Image result

Respected Contributor

@151949

i've always felt that eyeliner should enhance eyecolor and has nothing to do with hair color.

Respected Contributor

@segrl21

i would imagine that black would look beautiful with amber eyes.

Valued Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@segrl21

i would imagine that black would look beautiful with amber eyes.

On me it makes them more of a muted light brown. My dad had straight up wolf eyes, or amber 'yellow' eyes and black would do the same for his eyes.