Honored Contributor

Re: "Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

@Mellie32   Ah, good old Marnie. Bless her heart.

Yeah, I don't think makeup advice from her is something I'd take seriously.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Mellie32   Ah, good old Marnie. Bless her heart.

Yeah, I don't think makeup advice from her is something I'd take seriously.

Yeah, I don't take earring advice from her either.  She wears some doozies.

Honored Contributor

I've never worn black ... my complexion, hair and eyes are too light.  I look better with a dusty brown  (a powder that I mix myself from two cake eyeliners).

What other women choose to wear is none of my business.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For myself, I feel that I can still wear black if I have a thinner liner and smudge it.  These days I am choosing a lighter black like Steel Ink from Bobbi Browns longwear gel eyeliner.  I also love the Graphite Shimmer from BB.  I have a very cool complexion and I think brown (except for a black brown) looks muddy on me. Some women seem to pull it off fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have green eyes.  Love black eyeliner.  To make my eyes really show and pop I always wear a plum shade of eyeshadow.  And I might add I am one of the older women you might be refering to.  But you would never know it.  I never got out of the 6th grade... I taught there most of my adult life.  

Trusted Contributor

Most makeup artists advise the very same thing.  Generally speaking, it is true.  Black is very harsh but as many said, it is more about the application.  

Respected Contributor

I'm reading this thread after putting on my liquid black eyeliner on the top lid and black pencil liner in the water line at the bottom.  I think I fit into the "older" category.  Older than I used to be.

Esteemed Contributor

Early on in my makeup days, a makeup artist told me not to wear black eyeliner because of the thick lenses of my glasses.  This was late '60s and I was a teenager. I wore navy which I usually created using black liner, and dabbing a bright blue or grayish powder shadow over it for softening.  Almost 50 years later I'm still wearing navy eyeliners.  My favorite liner color  is Laura Geller's Eye Rimz Blue Voodoo.  It has a plethora of navy, cobalt, light blue, almost black, grayish tones in it.  In other words it's a simplified version of what I was doing 40 years ago.  

Back to the original question. I do not think every older woman looks harsh in black eyeliner.  There are those whose skin and/or hair color look best when black liner is used.  For those who feel black is too harsh, but prefer it:  I like Laura Geller's trick of black liner on the lid and using a soft color on the lower rim.

Trusted Contributor

I have been wearing brown when I was in my forties.........with blonde hair I feel I look best in brown liner.  Unless a person has dark skin like my sister, I don't think black is good yet she just went blonde and I think brown liner will be best on her but she does not even wear liner but little makeup because she has fabulous skin but with that blonde hair I have told her she needs lipstick to pop that face.

Regular Contributor

For me, now 50, it is about technique. i no longer wear black eyeliner except as a tightline. I will on occasion, still wear black eyeshadow as a liner since it looks softer than a liner does.