Honored Contributor

Re: "Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

OP, what do YOU think?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

OP, what do YOU think?

I agree with most everyone here.  It depends on your skin tone, how much you apply, etc.  I've seen 20-something girls that look horrible because they have a half-inch line of jet black on their pale skin.  It's not age that dictates colors that look good on you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I listened to her short intro video about herself.  She isn't a make-up artist and has no real background in this area.  Many You Tubers in this category can be interesting to listen to, but they don't give the same quality of information as the pros like Wayne Goss.  I consider everything Wayne Goss says but view You Tubers like this to be mostly entertainment.

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I listened to her short intro video about herself.  She isn't a make-up artist and has no real background in this area.  Many You Tubers in this category can be interesting to listen to, but they don't give the same quality of information as the pros like Wayne Goss.  I consider everything Wayne Goss says but view You Tubers like this to be mostly entertainment.

Lisa Eldridge is my go-to makeup artist.  Love her.

I think there are very knowledgable people who aren't makeup artisits, but for the most part they only know their own skintone and what works for them.  What bothers me about Wayne Goss is that he demonstrates on his own skin.  I don't want to see what makeup looks like on a man.  He does give good advice though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Black or black-brown liner (and mascara) is fine, as long is it's not too heavily or incorrectly applied.

Whether it's on just the top lid, bottom, or both.

Black-brown, especially, helps pop blue and green eye colors. 

Honored Contributor

I am fair and have blonde hair and blue eyes.  I love black liner.  It makes my eyes stand out due to having light lashes and brows.  I also like a super dark brown liner.  I don't like off black or grey liner.  Black liner is the best for me.  I smudge it so it doesn't look harsh.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I am fair and have blonde hair and blue eyes.  I love black liner.  It makes my eyes stand out due to having light lashes and brows.  I also like a super dark brown liner.  I don't like off black or grey liner.  Black liner is the best for me.  I smudge it so it doesn't look harsh.

Years ago I knew a beautiful blonde lady who used black not only as eye liner but as eye shadow.  It sounds like it would look awful, but it really looked great on her.  I don't know how she ever came up with that look, but she wore it every day of her life and it was a wow!

Respected Contributor

I am in agreement that there are too many variables on this subject to make an overall statement.  I've heard this analogy on the wearing of black with clothing and hair color as well.  I think utube is a good "heads up", but the very best thing is having at least one good friend in your life that will tell you what area you might want to improve on.  Remember, mirrors don't always tell the whole story, and I wouldn't want to remain stubborn and set in my ways if there was any doubt. 

Trusted Contributor

I do not think it has anything to do with age.  I find black eyeliner can look harsh on any age.  I prefer grays, taupe, or navy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Older" women don't all look alike, and what suit one may not suit another.  It comes down to a personal choice, and the important thing is the woman wearing it feels satisified and confident in her choice... 

I wear black liner - carefully - to emphasize my lashes and eyes.    

My goal for my eyeliner is to help my lashes look full, dark and soft, and for my eyes to appear bright.

Although my skin is fair, my lashes and brows are black.  I apply my black Clinic gel liner from underneath the lashes, and bring it up actually onto my lashes to give my lashes a fuller look.  I then tightline very thinly on the upper lashes only, trying to basically hide the line in the lashes, and cover that with a colored liner (lately a green).  Under the eye, I very lightly use a color towards the outer corner only, and angle upward, to bring out the green and gold tones in my eyes.   When I'm done, unless you came at me with a magnifying glass, it's hard to tell I'm wearing black eyeliner at all.  

I fell in love with tight lining as a result of watching Holly from Smashbox (but eventually modified it).

Do the math.