Honored Contributor

"Apply to clean skin"

[ Edited ]

What does this actually mean? OK, I've washed my face, so my skin is 'clean'.Next I put on my alpha-hydroxy lotion, now I'm ready for my serums. No matter what I put on next, my skin is clean BUT it's not without another product on it. If I use more than one serum, it will not go on 'clean skin' because there's another serum already on. I just don't know what it means and everything I use says put on clean skin. Maybe in simple words it just means, 'wash your face first, dummy!'?? Ya think?

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline  I agree.  The only product which will be applied to clean skin is the first layer.  After that, I'll go with what you said. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "Apply to clean skin"

[ Edited ]

To me clean skin means just that. Skin that has nothing on it. The order in which you apply products should always start with the most watery to the less watery, creamier stuff and with a particular order within the applications.

AHA lotions should be used alone at night. Adding any other active (serum) with it is usually not recommended. AHA (acids) can change the efficacy of other ingredients or they may cause adverse reactions when combined with other ingredients.

Valued Contributor

I have certain topical medications from my dermatologist and i have to always first use them.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

To me clean skin means just that. Skin that has nothing on it. The order in which you apply products should always start with the most watery to the less watery, creamier stuff and with a particular order within the applications.

AHA lotions should be used alone at night. Adding any other active (serum) with it is usually not recommended. AHA (acids) can change the efficacy of other ingredients or they may cause adverse reactions when combined with other ingredients.

@SilleeMee  what if you use Retin-A every night?  Do you use AHA as well?

Honored Contributor

It means they want you to put that product on first so it can completely absorb and not get diluted. Doesn't mean you have to do it. Nothing will explode if you do something different.

If you have multiple products that say apply to clean skin, then it's up to you which one you want to give the stronger effect by putting it on first. I'd probably go with prescription products first, followed by collagen building products, followed by antioxidants, followed by humectants (meaning hyaluronic acid, glycerin), followed by occulsives (your moisturizer). Serums and essences before lotions and creams.

You can buffer and reduce the effect of an overly strong product by applying it over another. For sure let your most important products absorb and dry to a slightly tacky finish before applying the next.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Serums go first (lightest to heaviest product), then moisturizer.

@Judaline wrote:

What does this actually mean? OK, I've washed my face, so my skin is 'clean'.Next I put on my alpha-hydroxy lotion, now I'm ready for my serums. No matter what I put on next, my skin is clean BUT it's not without another product on it. If I use more than one serum, it will not go on 'clean skin' because there's another serum already on. I just don't know what it means and everything I use says put on clean skin. Maybe in simple words it just means, 'wash your face first, dummy!'?? Ya think?

Honored Contributor

I also get confused with this.  I am right now applying hydroquinone to some brown spots on my face.  I apply it to my dry washed skin and let it dry.... then apply MANY other serums and creams over it..  

My question is... does it just get wiped off when I apply things over the hydroquinone... or does it actually go INTO the skin enough so when I apply my other products it is still on my skin working???  I probably will never know. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "Apply to clean skin"

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

@SilleeMee  what if you use Retin-A every night?  Do you use AHA as well?

@Texasmouse 

No. Because if you are using RA, that in itself can cause flaking and it would seem to me that you would not need an exfoliating product. It's a bit of an overkill. If you are using AHA and RA on alternating nights then that would seem more reasonable, but still a little on the overkill mode. When you get down to the basics of what RA does, you really don't need much else in the way of using other active ingredient such as AHAs or even brightening agents or collagen boosters like vit C because really, that's what RA does on its own. When you are on a RA routine then that ideally should be the only thing you use regularly. Occasional use of AHAs and other actives or spot treatments are fine to incorporate into your routine...but only occasionally and not frequently as with RA. 

If you use RA and AHA together back to back at the same time, that can have adverse results and I would never do that. It is not recommended.

Honored Contributor

Exfoliating acids are a different story. I really think they should be treated as a separate process. They have to be and remain acidic and there's no point to leaving them on your skin after they've finished exfoliating. Acids are about fixing the surface of the skin. They don't need to penetrate very deep. Makes sense to me to use them in a mask after washing and then rinse it off.

I don't see the point in messing up the pH of other products by trying to make them play nicely with acids. pH really does matter to your other products. Plus the acids will stop exfoliating properly once you put another much less acidic product on over top. 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr