Respected Contributor

Re: question for beauty PROS & Experts re: hair color

[ Edited ]

Texture of your hair after color also depends on technique used to apply the dye.   If oyu apply with a brush to coat the strands it roughens the hair folicles so they appear/seem thicker than just squeezing on the dye.  also...the type of shampoo and conditioner used afterwards can make a huge difference on lasting color and body.  

I always paid a small fortune to get my hair done professionally every few months but took the plunge and tried doing my own and have to say I am pleased with the results and been coloring my own now for over 1 year with great success.  I use the boxed brand Nice'n Easy permanent hair color...I buy two colors and mix 1/2 and 1/2 to get the shade I want (save the other 1/2's for next time)....only leave it on for 10 minutes (my hair is fine and takes color super fast).....I do not use the provided condition sealer other than 1 time right after coloring.  I use "it's a 10" conditioner and a shampoo for color treated hair (right now using up a bottle of matrix but it's not been my favorite brand).   I've been coloring my hair every 6-8 weeks depending on time/fading/growth.   

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Hey Feline Groovy! Yes, color does make hair a little thicker because you are opening up the cuticle of the hair (with the developer) to deposit the color. Once you do that, your cutcile never closes to the point it was before you colored it and with virgin hair so that adds to the circumference of the individual hair. I would say that permanent hair color would give you the most body simply because you are using a stronger developer with permanent and that is opening up the cuticle of hair the most, but I really do think that the difference is negligible.

Are you coloring your hair to change the color or cover grays exclusively or just to add some body?

Both, actually.

My hair is about 25% gray, baby-fine, and thinning due to the natural aging process. (I'm 52)

I take good care of it, and even better care when it's colored.

I did think that permanent color gives the most body; appreciate you verying that for me.  8)

But it's nice to know that semi and demi -perm do (a bit) as well.

Do you happen to know if temporary  color - like a rinse - will also?

Thanks for the info, IrshGrl/ColoristBabeSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

Texture of your hair after color also depends on technique used to apply the dye.   If you apply with a brush to coat the strands it roughens the hair folicles so they appear/seem thicker than just squeezing on the dye.  also...the type of shampoo and conditioner used afterwards can make a huge difference on lasting color and body.  

I always paid a small fortune to get my hair done professionally every few months but took the plunge and tried doing my own and have to say I am pleased with the results and been coloring my own now for over 1 year with great success.  I use the boxed brand Nice'n Easy permanent hair color...I buy two colors and mix 1/2 and 1/2 to get the shade I want (save the other 1/2's for next time)....only leave it on for 10 minutes (my hair is fine and takes color super fast).....I do not use the provided condition sealer other than 1 time right after coloring.  I use "it's a 10" conditioner and a shampoo for color treated hair (right now using up a bottle of matrix but it's not been my favorite brand).   I've been coloring my hair every 6-8 weeks depending on time/fading/growth.   

Thanks for that interesting info, StrayKatz, and congrats on your DIY success.  8)

My hair is also very porous like yours, so we're both lucky as far as dye goes.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@feline groovy

All hair tint..whether semi, demi or permanent can give the hair more shine and body .  At least through a few washings.  The reason is, most hair color, if done properly, and NOT over processed,opens, then closes and coats the cuticle of the hair shaft. Tint also fills the second layer of the hair to deposit color.  This can give a fuller look. When the cuticle is closed or coated the hair reflects more light, and seems to have more body, especially gray hair.  Gray hair has lost the color molecules in the shaft of the hair.  Color molecules are all different shades (except those with black hair).  That is why some natural hair when we are younger (or not gray), seems high lighted or a mixture of shades.. Gray hair also tends to be finer and frizzier, and more resistant.  Tint deposits color (although it doesn't hold as long as non gray hair_)  This will add body.

The above reason is why some people who like the color of hair, or want more shine add or soley use a clear cellophane to their hair.

Thanks for all this interesting stuff, ShoeKitty; love learning new things1     Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I buy my hair color from a professional wherehouse that caters to professionals. However some hair colors are available through an agent.  They require a large purchase.   A tube of Goldwell or Schwartzkopf costs under 10 bucks.  Goldwell has lost favor with many salons because of stability and other issues.

Box colors are the same tints used by professionals EXCEPT the developer is a little different. The tint is not weaker, but they do use a special conditioned developer that reacts different that regular peroxide.  I used to throw the developer away, and add my own, but I knew what I was doing.  It grabbed better.  it is NOT as conditioning, but it grabs better, IMO.  But I wouldn't advise anyone to this unless they have okayed it with a professional. Also box color is not as selective and vast as salon colors because box mixes cannot cover so many shades.  Box colors are not as easy to mix shades.  I have done it a few years ago, but now they are are more exclusive.  Many boxed sets actually say, "do not mix shades".  Box sets also have a shorter timer, and the instructions are not as specific for certain problems. But a box color can be just as good as a professional tint, if applied right.  Salons have the option of mixing shades to get a more personal color.  I love that!  They also do it for you, and no mess to clean up!  Box colors are great for those who do not want to spend the $, or cannot, or do not want to spend the couple hours away from home.  I do my own with a professional tint, but I did use a box color for years until it was discontinued.  I hate traveling 2 hours to a salon, it is a days time!  I hate being in that chair!  I have flash backs to my years of teaching when I let students experiment on me, and from platfoem work that was so confining.  I HATE doing my hair though. I hate it.

What I have noticed id the last 3 years the color selection is not as good as it once was for box color!  Clairol  has discontinued more than half their colors, and dropped many products.  This is because of the outcry from professionals working in the industry.  Also some colors don't move as well.  However, one drug store may sell a color they don't have at the same drug store accross town.  Colors and brands are specific to the demographic of the surrounding area.  I didn't know that, until I talked to Clairol 2 years ago.  Also, drug store sales are down for box colors because of online outlets and Amazon.

Hmm...

Thank you again, SK.   8-)

Respected Contributor

THANK YOU for this GREAT and informative post.

I really appreciate the info. Before I ventured to do my own, I used the have my hair done with Goldwell--the entire salon was fitted out with their system and I liked the color but I get about as good as result as with John Frieda. I don't like the fact that colors are hard to find now (as you point out.) Most companies hate stocking too many variations of an item as it cuts into profits. They probably found women would just grab a similar color out of necessity, hating it maybe but still buying it. I can't find the Lightest ALMOND brown I like in stores or even easily on line--but their lightest cool brown works about as well. I'd like to buy the Goldwell and mix my own, but if you open developer, you have to use it within a period of time and I am not sure I could find small enough amounts. 

I don't miss the highlighting. The grey seems to take care of that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Campion wrote:

THANK YOU for this GREAT and informative post.

I really appreciate the info. Before I ventured to do my own, I used the have my hair done with Goldwell--the entire salon was fitted out with their system and I liked the color but I get about as good as result as with John Frieda. I don't like the fact that colors are hard to find now (as you point out.) Most companies hate stocking too many variations of an item as it cuts into profits. They probably found women would just grab a similar color out of necessity, hating it maybe but still buying it. I can't find the Lightest ALMOND brown I like in stores or even easily on line--but their lightest cool brown works about as well. I'd like to buy the Goldwell and mix my own, but if you open developer, you have to use it within a period of time and I am not sure I could find small enough amounts. 

I don't miss the highlighting. The grey seems to take care of that. 

I appreciate your thanks, Campion.  Smiley Very Happy

Glad that the posts can help you.

If the list below also helps, you can save/print it.

They're online vendors that carry your John Frieda Foam Color 'Lightest Cool Almond Brown".

Ebay.com

Amazon.com

Drugstore.com

Ulta.com

Jet.com

Target.com

Walgreens.com

Walmart.com

For even more natural-looking color, you could mix in another box of JFPFC, either 'Light Natural Brown' or 'Dark Natural Blonde'.  8)

Honored Contributor

Excellent information. Thanks.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~