Honored Contributor

question about Tarte self tanner

I bought the Tarte self tanner as the tsv, used the earlier this week for the first time. In the past when I've used self tanners most times (depending on the brand) I've used my moisturizer prior to applying the tanner. Do you do this with Tarte?

The instructions do not indicate to apply after you moisturize but I'm wondering because of the oils in it, you do not need to moisturize prior to. My first time using it of course I did not want to really load up on the tanner in case I did not like how it turned out on me so I did not get very tan if you will. I could tell I had something on but it's not very dark at all, which is okay especially when you're unsure of the results.

Fill me in on how you use this tanner please. Would I have gotten a little darker had I not moisturized prior to? I did wait a good while before I used the tanner.

I did like the results, it went on very easy, smooth and evenly with the mitt, pretty natural looking too. I'll continue to use it.

Respected Contributor

Re: question about Tarte self tanner

Tarte's is one of my favorite STs. I usually moisture the night before I apply.. not right before. However, I don't think it really matters that much. You might wait a day then try another layer to deepen your tan. I've done this many times and it works fine.

Respected Contributor

If you shower in the morning like I do, moisturize after you get out. Then try applying the ST at night. It looks most natural after another shower the next morning. Again, you can layer after a day for more depth.

Super Contributor

Now I can answer your question as a 1st time user. I just tried it. I took a shower, dried off and applied. So, so easy why in the heck didn't I purchase this brand before ?